On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:44:11 -0800, Rich Ater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Gilberto:
> >But it does seem to suggest that the previous religions are sufficient
> >guidance for later times as well.

Rich:
> >Except that they were corrupted by the limitations of humanity. As you know,
> >the Baha'i Faith does tend to side with the Shi'a explanation of things.
> >Since we are discussing being honest with each other, the usual explanation
> >is that if thye early Muslims had not turned there backs on Ali and elected
> >Abu Bakr, Umar, or Uthman; and if they had stood behind Ali and not
> >Mu'awiyya then Islam would have been sufficient. They didn't and so another
> >revelation was needed.

Gilberto:
But what does that mean exactly? What would be missing? Because the
Shia recognize Ali as the imam. They have Nahjul-Balagha the book of
Ali's letters and sermons, the hadith, the other writings of the
imams. And Even most of the sunni Sufi orders trace their lineage
through Ali (rather than Abu Bakr) so in a very concrete sense, his
spiritual successorship to the prophet is actually recognized even by
sunnis in some respects. Isn't the message there? Why would another
revelation be needed?