Hi, folks,

Someone asked me today to discuss further the philosophia perennis. I am not
sure if I can add anything to what I, Gilberto, and others have said, but I
will try.

The problem is that there is not just one perennial philosophy. Treating this
subject in an email message is difficult and, perhaps, unrealistic. Writers
have constructed it differently. Most have focused, to some degree, on
Platonism or Neo-Platonism. Others have looked at Vedanta, at one or more of
the Buddhisms, at the views of the Traditionalists, or at the  "esoteric
opponents of the Traditionalists, the HPB Theosophists. Finally, there are some
writers (often Hindus, Buddhists, or Baha'is) for whom the term "perennial
philosophy" is simply a name for their own religions. In other words, visions
of the perennial philosophy run the gambit from religiocentric and triumphalist
to universal and syncretistic.

Since there is no single philosophia perennis, how one regards it will depend
upon one's religious or spiritual background, one's personal, professional, or
academic interests, or one's readings.

On the positive side, some understandings of the perennial philosophy reflect
an awareness of different religions and cultures and a desire to take them into
account in one's worldview. J. Michael Straczynski's self-constructed
"religion" of foundationism (in Babylon 5), a synthesis of earth religions
inspired by extraterrestrial contacts, is an interesting metaphor:

http://www.infinicorp.com/VEX/organizations/human-foundationism.htm

On the negative side, most approaches to the perennial philosophy are either
syncretistic or triumphalist. For that reason, they reflect a kind of
ideological hegemony. They are unfair to the particular contributions of the
different religions incorporated into one's system.

With regards, Mark A. Foster • 15 Sites: http://markfoster.net
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburger" -- Abbie Hoffman