On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:07:58 +0700, Firouz Anaraki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Gilberto:
> > You seem to be suggesting that Muslim countries shouldn't have democracy.

> On the opposite, I would love to see democracy everywhere with and without
> Muslim World.

You were speaking positively about Turkish secularism (in spite of the
fact that the Turkish military respresses Muslims). In alot of parts
in the Muslim world, if the governments became more democratic, then
that would mean more power for the Islamic parties but you've
commented about this as if it were a bad thing.

> Dear Gilberto, you did not answer my question in the previous email. What I
> asked is what kind of government a democratic Muslim country should have?
> Should the constitution of the country be based upon Quran and Islamic
> Shariah in this government that you would like to have?

I think that would be natural except when people say "apply the
Shariah" it should be done intelligently instead of stupidly. I think
that in alot of places (like in Afghanistan after the civil war)
people were so tired of crime and drugs and chaos that they really
wanted order. And so they just wanted some strong leaders to keep the
peace. And so people say they want "the shariah" and typically that
means cutting off the hands of theives and stoning adulterers. But the
shariah involves many different principles and rules in many areas of
life and the system needs to be implemented intelligently.