Hi Susan,

well, I am not sure that most people are turned off by book one here in Ireland for a start. I am sure that a lot of people who are bahais for a while initially have a bias against book one, until the method is explained to them. and why the repetition is. That is so in Europe, that is so in Ireland.

What I am suspecting from being on the internet and being exposed to the english sections of the internet having a huge representation of people from the USA, also Bahai lists etc. is that because the USA is such a vast country with one major official language, which has never been invaded by another country and where if people go to Canada they still are exposed to the same language and the same food and the same cultural background, there is a great possibility that people take what they see in their surroundings as being world wide the case, the truth and forget to subject their conclusions to critical examination.

It is easy to reject something new when it does not conform with your ideas. However, when it starts to have positive results it is difficult to reject it again.

I feel I have the right to say this. The culture in Ireland is vastly different from the culture in the Netherlands or even the culture of New Zealand, where I lived for nine months. I grew up in the Netherlands. I moved to Ireland 7 years ago. I had a big culture shock there and was inclined to criticise and reject all things not in accordance with my culture. But you know what? there is a lot of good in the Irish approach as well. That is what I have discovered.

And I am wondering if this cannot be said of Ruhi. That we are used to do things in a certain way and are thrown and prone to reject it when a new way of doing things is offered to us. Especially if we live in a culture, like i get the feeling the USA has as one mainstream subculture, which rejects academic learning and academic approach.

much love,

janine