On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:00:45 -0800, Richard H. Gravelly
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Gilberto:
> >>Yes, I understand that. But that would only be an issue if the Bahai lamp
> >>is the only one with light. If light shone through muiltiple lamps, you
> >>can pick any lamp you want, even if for silly reasons like it was the lamp
> >>you grew up with, or it was the lamp your in-laws wanted you to use,
> >>because they all have light.<<

Richard:
> The first clear statement regarding the light and its function, in my
> understanding, is in Genesis

Gilberto:
In terms of the Bible, I agree, but I would have tried to bring
together a different set of passages:

Genesis 1:3 And God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.

So that was the light which was brought into existence by God
speaking.a word. So then there are also connections with

John 1
[1] In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the
Word was God.
[2] He was in the beginning with God;
[3] all things were made through him, and without him was not anything
made that was made.
[...]
[9] The true light that enlightens every man was coming into the world.

which the Bible identifies with Jesus.

And then what is really interesting is Proverbs 8 which talks alot
about Wisdom personified. But just the bit I would want to share is
where wisdom says:

22] The LORD created me at the beginning of his work,
the first of his acts of old.
[23] Ages ago I was set up,
at the first, before the beginning of the earth.
[..]
[30] then I was beside him, like a master workman;
and I was daily his delight,
rejoicing before him always,

So throughout the Bible there are all these connections between Logos
in John 1, the Light in Genesis, Wisdom mentioned in Proverbs 8, and
then Jesus. (also, I would say that since the light is created, this
is more like the Arian interpretation)

Interestingly enough, In Islam there are similar ideas. Where Islamic
sources say in some places that the first thing created was the
Intellect, or in other places, the Pen, or in other places, the Light
of Muhammad (saaws).

So in both it seems as if God *creates* the Light, and this light is
sometimes identified with some kind of human mental activity (wisdom
or intellect) and is also identified with the prophets, or at least,
with Jesus and Muhammad, by Christians and Muslims, respectively.

But then would you say that an old lamp goes dark? Or do they continue
to possess the same light?

Also, at least in the Quran, light and fire are certainly
distinguished (for examples, angels are made from light, jinn from
fire) so I'm not sure I would switch one for the other. Or assume one
implies the other.