"The independent search for truth should end once you find the truth.
If it doesn't end there, then you haven't found the truth."

Dear Dean,

Well, thanks for proving my case to Gilberto. ;-}

It would not make much sense for us to have a principle aimed at non-Baha'is
and not applicable to ourselves. Truth, in the ultimate sense,  is not
something we find, put in our pockets and claim to possess. Shoghi Effendi,
in his letter to the United National Special Palestine commission stated
that the Faith "enjoins upon its followers the primary duty of an unfettered
search after truth."

Note he said followers, not seekers. In a talk Ian Semple gave on obedience
in which he made this comment:

 "The continuing exercise of our search for truth enables the followers of a
true Prophet to draw ever closer to Him, to absorb His teachings and to
integrate them into their lives. The same principle when applied by the
followers of a false prophet will enable them, sooner or later, to discover
his falsity. This is why it is false prophets who, above all, require blind
obedience from their followers. They fear the truth--and for very good
reason. But how can He who is Truth itself ever suffer from the pursuit of
truth by His followers?"

Likewise the Universal House of Justice wrote me the following:

"As you well understand, not only the right but also the responsibility of
each BELIEVER to explore truth for himself or herself are fundamental to the
Baha'i teachings. This principle is an integral feature of the coming of age
of humankind, inseparable from the social transformation to which
Baha'u'llah is calling the peoples of the world. It is as relevant to
specifically scholarly activity as it is to the rest of spiritual and
intellectual life. Every human being is ultimately responsible to God for
the use which he or she makes of these possibilities; conscience is never to
be coerced, whether by other individuals or institutions."
http://methodologies.susanmaneck.com/

warmest, Susan

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.