Tim,

At 09:56 AM 9/4/2005, you wrote:
>>As a sensible human being,  do you feel you have to accept a person's self
>>definition as valid and accurate?   Suppose I define myself as an orthodox
>>Jew - a belief system I know little about.  Do you feel you must accept that
>>I am in fact an orthodox Jew, even though though you know it's a silly
>>notion?<<

I would accept it unless I had some reason to believe you were lying or being
facetious.

>>My point is that self definition does not change reality; I am not an
>>orthodox Jew, no matter what I say.<<

Were you to claim to be an Orthodox Jew, it would be obvious you were being
facetious.

>>Then there is the matter that Covenant breaking is an outward manifestation
>>of a dangerous spiritual disease.<<

As a sociologist of religion, I have no ability to determine "spiritual
disease." As a Baha'i, I would leave such matters to the Universal House of
Justice. And as an individual, I would not judge the sincerity of the person's
claim.

>>This principle is clearly explained in the quotes Khazeh just posted.  You
>>and I have no right to make such a judgement, but the House of Justice does
>>have that right, and I have no alternative but to accept their description as
>>valid and accurate.<<

Statements by the House of Justice would indicate the status of that person in
the Baha'i International Community. In other words, that person is no longer a
Baha'i, as "Baha'i" is defined by the Universal House of Justice. However,
statements of the Universal House of Justice would have no bearing on an
individual's religious identity.

>>"People are what they claim"??  Maybe in their own minds they are, but in
>>terms of interactions with others ....<<

Their interactions with which others?

>>... in terms of objective reality, people are what they do, not what they
>>claim.<<

I do not feel qualified to judge another person.

Via moderna, Mark A. Foster . http://markfoster.net
... since [a] word is said to be common, it can be called
a universal. - Wm. of Ockham, Summa Logicae, part I
Structurization Tech: http://tech.structurization.com

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.