Mark A. Foster wrote:
I define myself differently in different contexts. Why are you being so judgmental? I don't recall you ever having expressed yourself in this way.

I guess I don't. When I'm treating patients, I'm a Baha'i.

Ian Semple, in a talk on obedience, discussed the collaborater who says he had no choice but to betray others, or he would have been killed. Semple says he could have chosen to die.<<

I don't see how that relates to me.

Only in that you said you had no choice. I was this example to illustrate that you did have a choice and you made it.

I don't believe that that's true, Mark, and your original answer was ambiguous. I think it good to keep in mind that when non-Baha'is raise issues on this list they are expecting Baha'i answers not sociological answers.<<

This is a Baha'i studies list, not a Baha'i list. In any event, I think that my responses have reflected my views both as a sociologist and as a Baha'i.

Fair enough, Then, I respectfully disagree with you.
The Baha'i Faith is the eternal faith of God, not a sociological organization in the sense that it is being defended and discussed in this issues.

In grad school I wrote a paper on healthcare views in the Baha'i Faith from a nursing and anthropological perspective and I kept that perspective, but I didn't kid myself that it had anything to do with the Faith from it's own perspective.<<

Is there any single Baha'i perspective on most issues? I don't think so.

There are the teachings and the administrative rules on who isn't and who is a Baha'i. Once again, I go back to my stance that Non-Baha'is are asking for a Baha;i answer. As a student of Comparative Religion, if you were to ask if if there were sects in the Faith, I'd have to say yes. I would also answer that a Baha'i I don't accept them as sects. Otherwise it's all too easy for someone to go away thinking the Baha'is accept Covenant breakers as Baha'is. I would also add that as an academic foloks will often look you as an expert and accept your answer as the correct answer, not as a "perspective".

Once again, I'm not trying to fight with you, beleive what you want.
Rich

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.