> "So was the Guardian wrong when he said this."

Susan:
> Dear Gilberto,
> There is your absolutist thinking again.

On 10/17/05, Susan Maneck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Gilberto:
> I think you are mischaracterizing what I'm saying. I'm certainly
> capable and willing to make fine nuanced distinctions about issues
> like this. The above, in particular was a question, not a dogmatic
> absolutist claim.

[For clarity, Susan accused me of "absolutist" thinking]

> Dear Gilberto,
>
> Questions are usually denoted by a "?"

It was an honest typo on my part but what I said doesn't read as a
declarative sentence.

Susan:
> My objection was to your tendency to take to extremes what others are saying
> which go far beyond their intention.

I think that sometimes in this forum, people make assertions but don't
always appreciate the logical consequences of those assertions. I
often appreciate (but perhaps don't always say) that people have good
intentions when they are speaking, but that doesn't change the logical
consequences of their words.

> > The letter written on the
> > Guardian's behalf (not in his own words) was making the point that where
> the
> > Bible and the Qur'an differed the Qur'an had authority because it
> > represented the Manifestation's own words, unlike the Bible.

> That's one interepretation."

> Well, if you have some special insight into the Guardian's intentions which
> would contradict this please share them with us.

All I'm saying is that what you wrote above is just a particular
interpretation. It doesn't seem to be based on a close reading of the
Guardian's words. And personally it doesn't strike me as natural. The
passages we have been quoting over and over say that the Quran and the
Bahai writings are "absolutely authentic" while expressing certain
hesitancy when it comes to the authenticity of the Bible.

I would suggest that if the writings say that the Quran is wholly
authentic or absolutely authentic then that would mean that the Quran
used by sunnis and shias (the Uthmanic recension) is the authentic
Quran. And so if there were variant texts like Yemenite fragments
which Scott was alluding to, then they would not be the absolutely
authentic Quran.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.