Another totally stupid argument.

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Gilberto Simpson wrote:

> On 10/27/05, Tim Nolan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > O.K.  How about this:
>
> > The Quran says that the punishment for stealing is to have a hand cut off.
> > Sura 5:
> > The man thief and the woman thief, cut off the hands of both as a
> > punishment, for that they have erred;- an example from God, for God is
> > mighty, wise.
> >  (The Qur'an (E.H. Palmer tr), Sura   5 - The Table)
>

> > Do you believe that cutting off a hand is an appropriate punishment for a
> > thief
> > in the 21st century?
>
> Firstly, I think that even under Islamic law there are specific
> conditions put on when such a punishment is warranted. A certain
> minimum amount of wealth is stolen. It is done by force. You are an
> adult. sane.  You aren't stealing from your parents or family. You
> aren't stealing due to poverty, hunger or need. etc. Some add as a
> condition that the state has to meet its obligation to take care of
> people's economic needs.
>
> And if punishment that severe was valid in 1843, I don't think that
> anything new has happened, in terms of how hands are put together or
> in terms of human greed, which would make such a punishment less
> appropriate.
>
> Peace
>
> Gilberto

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.