On 10/28/05, Susan Maneck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Gilberto:
> "I don't treat the Bible as one book. This argument is specific to
> certain commandments."

Susan:
> No the argument was in reference to your general position that
> unlike the Qur'an there is  " alot of stuff in the Bible which isn't
> inspired and isn't true."

Gilberto: (thank God for Gmail)
This is the larger context of what I said:

"I think think that there is alot of stuff in the Bible which isn't
inspired and isn't true. The genocides in the Old Testament. Paul's
varnish over Jesus' message in the New. The theological problems of
subsequent Christian theology. The Bible is a flawed book with alot of
good stuff in it. It is still possible for Bible-believers to find
resources to live saintly lives and be good people."

So even in the above, I'm talking about a couple of very specific
cases. But at the same time, I also said there is alot of good stuff
in it.

Gilberto:
>  "And in any case, it is not clear why you are
> arguing because you were doubting whether the descriptions in the
> Bible are historical anyway."

Susan:
> Because your argument isn't based on the likely historicity of the
> massacre
> in question it is based on the premise that the action was immoral > by your
> own [modern] standards

Gilberto:
The massacres even violated ANCIENT standards for warfare! Even the
ancient writer Cicero (who made early contributions to just war theory
in the West) would have said that those massacres too far.

Susan:
> and therefore couldn't have come from God. I'm saying
> you can't judge past dispensations by such standards and if one
> did even Islam would not come out looking all that good.

Gilberto:
So I guess the theory of Progressive Revelation is basically the
linchpin which allows Bahais to hold their nose. That's why its so
important.

[..]
Gilberto
> "Not just my own prophet and book, you guys say you love him with all
> your heart and love the book too."

Susan:
> And I haven't denigrated Him by saying His actions can't be
> evaluated by projecting our own standards back into history.

But you (not just Susan) denigrate him by saying he is guilty of
genocide and comparing his actions to the Holocaust.

Susan:
> so just leave it there and drop the subject.

Gilberto:
Ok. You and I shouldn't talk about this unless there is anything
significantly new to say.

-Gilberto

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be
confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The
information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts
or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.