The Baha'i Studies Listserv
Dear Sen,

I have not many data, but I think in Columbia the situation it is the same that
in almost all Baha'i communities around the world, ie the number of believers
in the rolls is quite inaccurate(compared with the number of believers live).
with respect to the dogmas and rituals; for the popular vocabulary of
Hispanoamericanos, these words have a derogatory connotation, and evoke mental
images a set of discredited and corrupt priest arming "spirituals verities" to
favor a dominant elite, and immoral clergy officiating highly complex ritual
lacking in spirit. This image is common both to non-Bahais and Bahais. This
must be added the fact that most Bahais in Latin America have reading only
"Baha'u'llah and the New Age"

Some years ago I tried to explain to an ABM that the Baha'i Faith has rituals,
such debate was extended for a long time, through the months. The most
difficult point to was remove the heavy burden pejoratively which he associated
with the word RITUAL.

regards,
husa