The Baha'i Studies Listserv

1.
1772. What is Commonly Called Evil spirits is Normally an Imaginary Creation But Evil Exists Both in This World And The Next

"In regard to your question concerning evil spirits and their influence upon souls, Shoghi Effendi wishes me to inform you that what is generally called evil spirit is a purely imaginary creation and has no reality whatever. But as to evil, there is no doubt that it exerts a very strong influence both in this world and in the next. 'Abdu'l-Bahá in the "Some Answered Questions" gives us a thorough and true analysis of the problem of evil. You should preferably refer to that book for further explanation on that point." (From letter written on behalf of the Guardian to an individual believer, November 1, 1934)
   (Compilations, Lights of Guidance, p. 521)

Everything I read about the next world tells me that it is a world of lights, of realties, where Truth is apparent. This sentence alone -- that evil exerts a very strong influence in the next world -- says the opposite. Therefore, I conclude that the meaning of this sentence -- that evil exerts a strong influence in the next world is this:

A pregnant woman drinks alcohol. That alcohol exerts a strong negative influence on the baby, both in the world of the womb, and in this world.

To bring this back to the statement from the Guardian's letter, the evil has influence in the next world, i.e. the evil acts of people in this world, "exerts a very strong influence" in the next world, in that the evil done in this world has consequences after the person's death. Not, that evil is rampant in the next world like it is here, that people can lie in the next world, that people can commit injustice in the next world. The next world is where the truth emerges, where lies have no place, where no one is capable of lying or of injuring another, where injustices that occurred in this world are rectified.

My second purpose in writing is to offer a thought about why Baha'u'llah refers to jinn, without explaining that they are symbolic: He is writing to the Muslims, and He uses the terms in their Book.

In similar fashion, Baha'u'llah tries to impact on the deeds of Muslims by quoting to them about their own opinions of how the resurrection will work:

"Rememberest thou not God's warning uttered in times past, that thou mayest be of them that heed His warning? He said, and He, verily, speaketh the truth: "From it (earth) have We created you, and unto it will We return you, and out of it will We bring you forth a second time." This is what God ordained unto all them that dwell on earth, be they high or low. It behoveth not, therefore, him who was created from dust, who will return unto it, and will again be brought forth out of it, to swell with pride before God, and before His loved ones, to proudly scorn them, and be filled with disdainful arrogance. Nay, rather it behoveth thee and those like thee to submit yourselves to them Who are the Manifestations of the unity of God, and to defer humbly to the faithful..."
(Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 231)

Even though in other places in His Writings, Baha'u'llah explains that the resurrection does not mean resurrection of the body, it has entirely spiritual meaning; in this passage, Baha'u'llah quotes a verse from the Qur'an without giving it a spiritual meaning, to impact on his reader.

And I am saying that by analogy, Baha'u'llah makes reference to the jinn, in a passage that Gary is having difficulty understanding, not to backtrack on His other statements that jinn have no actual existence, just as a way of using the fear of God as a tool to get people to act differently.

That's my understanding.

Brent