The Baha'i Studies Listserv
Well, a lot of times the Baha'i writings will say something like "meditate
upon this", which even in English implies to "think" or "reflect", rather
than what we normally associate with eastern styled meditation. Zikr is more
of the "trance" inducing styles of meditation, like Mantras in the Indian
tradition. Repeating any word thousands of times will give that effect, but
it is the belief that these words are holy and have a special potency to
them. As for Merkabah, I found this paragraph from Wikipedia interesting:

*"Ma’asei Merkavah, the first distinctly mystical movement in Jewish
history, appeared in the late Hellenistic period, after the end of the **Second
Temple* <https://mail.google.com/wiki/Second_Temple>* period following the
destruction of the Second Temple in 70 C.E. It is a form of
pre-**Kabbalah*<https://mail.google.com/wiki/Kabbalah>
* **Jewish* <https://mail.google.com/wiki/Judaism>*
**mysticism*<https://mail.google.com/wiki/Mysticism>
*, that teaches both of the possibility of making a sublime journey to **God
* <https://mail.google.com/wiki/God>* and of the ability of man to draw down
divine powers to earth; it seems to be an esoteric movement that grew out of
the priestly mysticism already evident in the **Dead Sea
Scrolls*<https://mail.google.com/wiki/Dead_Sea_Scrolls>
* and some apocalyptic writings (see the studies by **Rachel
Elior*<https://mail.google.com/wiki/Rachel_Elior>
*).[8]<https://mail.google.com/mail/html/compose/static_files/blank_quirks.html#cite_note-7>
Hekhalot writings are the literary artifacts of the Maasei Merkavah."*
**
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkabah

I think all forms of meditation are connected in some way, personally.