The Baha'i Studies Listserv
On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Susan Maneck <sman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Baha'i Studies Listserv
>>
>> And I agreed that Sunni accounts also mention nepotism. But still,
>> Sunnis aren't going to want to libel or back-bite a Companion either.

> You can't libel someone with the truth and nor can you back-bite a
> dead person.

That depends on the definition. In any case, playing word games is
really beside the point. In the Bahai faith (invoking the concept of
the sin-covering eye) and in Islam, finding fault with people in
different ways is highly discouraged. I would say this is especially
true in discussing certain divisive issues in the past.

> But I realize that Sunnis consider Uthman one of the
> Righteous Caliphs.

Ok.

>  And even the
>> worst companion is higher than the best of those who followed.

> Regardless of the circumstances of his so-called conversion?

a Muslim is a Muslim is a Muslim. Also according to some, the actual
act of seeing the prophet while having iman confers a sort of
supernatural grace on a person which lifts their station.

>  In the
>> case of Muwayia, first of all, he isn't responsible for what his
>> parents did.

> First off, he opposed Muhammad himself as an adult. If he is not
> responsible for what he did because of his parents he is not
> responsible for his conversion either which he was pressured to do by
> his father.

Umar (ra) also opposed Muhammad (saaws) as an adult. People are
allowed to change.

> Secondly, he also participated in the transmission of the
>> Quran so if you are going to say nasty things about him it has
>> implications for the integrity of the text you say you believe in.
>
> Is that the reason you suggest that all the worst Companions are
> better than everyone else, because otherwise it would call the Qur'an
> into question? Sorry, but needing something to be true, doesn't make
> it so.

I'm not really interested in arguing the point or trying to convince
you. I'm just trying to convey the/a Sunni view. The Shia narrative
tends to totally demonize certain characters who were Muslim. The
Sunni view typically tries to tell the same story in less stark terms.