The Baha'i Studies Listserv
Which passages in the Bible did you have in mind?  One which comes to
mind is Jesus saying "The poor you will always have with you" although
I suppose that could be connected to the Ebionites (literally "Poor
Ones") or maybe even the "poor in spirit" of the beatitudes. But I
don't know which passages you are thinking of in terms of voluntary
giving.

In terms of voluntary vs. government, I would suggest that the Old
Testament Torah lifestyle would have been ideally enforced by a system
of judges or later a king. At the very least, there are a number of
practices which are implemented by the society as a whole (like
declaring a Jubilee year).

In terms of Islam, obviously for Muslims living in the West, paying
zakat or almsgiving etc. is voluntary but there as well I would
suggest that in the "ideal" situation such a measure would be
administered and enforced by the state (similar to the IRS).

And to do the subject justice would require a serious conversation but
I think if you read the Gospels and take what Jesus says about wealth
and social justice and "the least of these" seriously it it implies a
much more radical and committed change is lifestyle than most people
are willing to easily accept. IT is certainly a more radical than an
endorsement of free market capitalism plus voluntary giving to
charity.