From: Matt Haase <matthewhaa...@gmail.com>
To: Baha'i Studies <bahai-st@list.jccc.edu>
Sent: Mon, November 1, 2010 4:48:17 PM
Subject: Re: The Future of Religion

The Baha'i Studies Listserv
Stephen, I take issue with your claim that "most" Western Muslims view Islam
through the Qur'an-Alone. That has not been my experience at all, nor has any
of
my research pointed to that. The Qur'anites or Qu'ran-Aloners comprise a very
small group of people, and are very literalistic in their reading of scripture.
They claim to be "free-thinkers", but they are not. All of their views
on anything come from a literal reading of the Qur'an: Far from what I call a
"free-thinker." If anything, the Western experience of Islam has been that of
Post-Islamic or Extra-Islamic Sources. The first published translation of the
Qur'an in the United States, was from the Ahmadiyyas. They were the firs
Americant Muslim door-to-door preachers, and most of whom they converted were
African Americans. In the early 20th century, a man going by the title "The
Prophet Noble Drew Ali" wrote a book called the "Circle Seven Koran", which he
claimed was a post-Qur'anic revelation from God as well as a divulgence of
esoteric secrets that he learned while on pilgrimage in Egypt. He taught that
Black people were originally Moors from Morocco, and that their true religion
was Islam - his Islam. He told them that once they joined his religion (The
Moorish Science Temple of America), they would have dual citizenship with all
of
the Muslim countries of the world; especially Morocco.

One of his followers was  W.D. Fard, who later went on to form the Nation of
Islam. Using some aspects of the Moorish Science Temple and his own teachings,
Fard created a religion whereby he taught his followers that Black people were
originally Muslims in religion (borrowed from Noble Drew Ali), that they came
from the tribe of "Shabazz" and that the Black man is the Original Man, and
Original God. Black men are all Gods, but the supreme Black man is Allah -
there
can only be one Allah at one time - and that role naturally was filled by W.D.
Fard (although there was some debate early on that W.D. Fard never claimed to
be
Allah or even a Prophet.) The Nation of Islam would later go on to teach that
God was not a "spirit", but was a human being - specifically a Black male. God
could only be a human being because people can only relate to what their five
senses tell them.

Most of these early Muslim groups did not even use the Qur'an as a source of
doctrine, except the Ahmadiyyas. But they were not mainstream due to their
teaching that Mirza Ghulam Ahmad was the Messiah, and a minor Prophet who
revealed writings "inspired by God" (but was not actual revelation per-Qur'an.)
In the other part of the West, Great Britian, France, Sweden, etc, some of the
early Western converts to Islam were also Perennialists. Perennialists were
Universalists in the sense that they believed mankind had an "original
religion"
going back to early times, and that all of the existing religions expressed
parts of that original religion of mankind. Thus, people such as Rene Guenon
who
was a very devout Muslim, didn't necessarily view Islam in the same manner that
a scholar at Al-Azhar would. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying that
some extra-Islamic sources played a part in the introduction of a Western
Islam,
so to speak.

The Baha'i Studies Listserv