The Baha'i Studies Listserv
On 29 Dec 2010 at 20:01, Gilberto Simpson wrote:

> I'm just interested in discussing the forms of warfare / jihad which
> would have permissible under Muhammad (saaws) or the Imams. Are you
> saying that Muhammad and/or the Imams led offensive raids?

In my Church and State and on my blog, I've presented an alternative
explanation of the role of Muhammad and the Meccan Muslims in Medina.
Basically, I think the elders of Medina decided to outsource their
security, as Taif and Mecca had done: contracting a particular group
to provide external security. In the case of Medina, that meant
running patrols in the surrounding area, maintaining friendly
contacts with nomadic peoples, collecting taxes from caravans passing
through the territory dominated by Medina, and encouraging caravans
to come to Medina.

This effort (jihad) was what was required of the Meccan Muslims, in
return for a place of refuge for them in the settlement. Surah 2:218,
for example, refers to those who have migrated and have engaged in
jihad (haajaruu wa jaahhaduu), but this jihand is simply the
`efforts´ (jahuud, jihaad) that the migrants had to make in return
for their residence in Medina. At that time, there was no state of
war with Mecca. The few Medinan Muslims did not participate in the
jihad, they were not part of that contract.

For more detail see my blog at:
http://senmcglinn.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/muhammad-at-
medina/#politics

Sen

sen.so...@casema.nl
senmcglinn.wordpress.com

Ninth, religion is separated from politics. Religion does not enter
into political
matters. In fact, it is linked with the hearts, not with the world of
bodies. The
leaders of religion should devote themselves to teaching and training
the souls
and propagating good morals, and they should not enter into political

matters.(~Abdu'l-Baha, in London, see http://wp.me/pcgF5-1wd )