The Baha'i Studies Listserv
> That is the second time you mentioned the word, "perennialism." What does
> that concept mean? I am ignorant of it.

Dear Matt,

Perennialism shares with Progressive Revelation a belief in the
Oneness of Religion, but whereas Progressive Revelation holds that
humanity has been progressively obtained a fuller understanding of
God's will over time Perenialism tends to believe that the ultimate
truth is to be found in the original forms of religion. Schuon
represents a European school of perennialism known Traditionalism
which includes a number of converts to Islam. This school posits a
"transcendent unity"  transmitted from the very origin of humanity and
partially restored by each genuine founder of a new religion. The
Traditionalists strongly emphasize the esoteric aspects of religion
and oppose modernity. The best study of this school is found in the
book *Against the Modern World.*

http://www.amazon.com/Against-Modern-World-Traditionalism-Intellectual/dp/0195152972

There is also a much older school of perennialism found in Islam which
is known as Ishraqi philosophy. This school providing the
philosophical underpinnings of the Mughal Emperor Akbar's Din-il
Ilahi. It also influenced the Parsi community in India and forms the
background behind many of the questions which Manakji presents to
Baha'u'llah and which are answered in the Tabernacle of Unity. For
Manakji religion is perennial and therefore the oldest is the best
whereas for Baha’u’llah religion is progressive and it is therefore
necessary to respond to God’s latest Messenger, not uncover the
esoteric secrets of the oldest one as Ishraqi philosophy sought to do.

Perhaps the best way to get this list back on track would be for me to
post the paper I wrote discussing this correspondence.

warmest, Susan