De: Dean Betts <fdbe...@mindspring.com>
Para: Baha'i Studies <bahai-st@list.jccc.edu>
Enviado: Martes, 25 de septiembre, 2012 7:33 P.M.
Asunto: Re: Bigamy permitted in bahá'í writings?

The Baha'i Studies Listserv
Dear Hasan,
The following passages from Notes to Kitab-i-Aqdas should clarify this subject.
Dean B.

While the text of the Kitáb-i-Aqdas appears to permit
bigamy, Bahá'u'lláh counsels that tranquillity and contentment
derive from monogamy. In another Tablet, He
underlines the importance of the individual's acting in such
a way as to "bring comfort to himself and to his partner".
Abdu'l-Bahá, the authorized Interpreter of the Bahá'í
Writings, states that in the text of the Aqdas monogamy is
in effect enjoined. He elaborates this theme in a number of
Tablets, including the following:  206

Know thou that polygamy is not permitted under the law of
God, for contentment with one wife hath been clearly stipulated.
Taking a second wife is made dependent upon equity and justice
being upheld between the two wives, under all conditions.
However, observance of justice and equity towards two wives is
utterly impossible. The fact that bigamy has been made
dependent upon an impossible condition is clear proof of its
absolute prohibition. Therefore it is not permissible for a man to
have more than one wife.

Polygamy is a very ancient practice among the
majority of humanity. The introduction of monogamy has
been only gradually accomplished by the Manifestations of
God. Jesus, for example, did not prohibit polygamy, but
abolished divorce except in the case of fornication;
Muhammad limited the number of wives to four, but
making plurality of wives contingent on justice, and
reintroducing permission for divorce; Bahá'u'lláh, Who was
revealing His Teachings in the milieu of a Muslim society,
introduced the question of monogamy gradually in accordance
with the principles of wisdom and the progressive
unfoldment of His purpose. The fact that He left His
followers with an infallible Interpreter of His Writings
enabled Him to outwardly permit two wives in the Kitáb-i-Aqdas
but uphold a condition that enabled 'Abdu'l-Bahá to
elucidate later that the intention of the law was to enforce
monogamy.

 (Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 205)

Dear Hasan,