Dear all netters,
Mungkin berguna buat yang pengen ngajak baby~nya berenang.....

Brgds,
A. Christine

Swimming & Babies Section
A few Frequently Asked Questions around swimming and babies.

Why should I go swimming with my baby?
What’s a good age to start swimming with my baby?
What do I need to be aware of when I start swimming with my baby?
I would like to go to a Baby Swim School with my baby. What do I need to watch out for?

1.

Why should I go swimming with my baby?
There have been claims that swimming helps motor development and intelligence of babies. However there is no firm scientific evidence to support this! Yet swimming with your baby provides another new and exciting experience, which in turn can help in the development of playing skills.

  Back To Top

2.

What’s a good age to start swimming with my baby?
We’d suggest that you wait until your baby’s head and neck muscles have developed sufficiently to allow him to hold up his own head - typically this occurs around 3 months of age. There are plenty of other activities for you to enjoy with your baby during this time – our Activity Centre can give you some ideas.

  Back To Top

3.

What do I need to be aware of when I start swimming with my baby?

  • Take your baby swimming when he is relaxed - if he is hungry or tired then he will be less likely to enjoy the experience.
  • Children are more vulnerable to temperature than adults and will get cold in the water long before you will. The temperature of the water should be between 32°C-34°C. Blue lips and shivering are late signs that your baby is too cold.
  • The first time you take your baby swimming spend sufficient time in the water so that your baby can experience it but does not tire of it. Try starting off with 15 minutes and build the time up gradually (to a maximum of 45 minutes).
  • Swimming/buoyancy aids (such as arm bands and inflatable rubber rings) should be avoided during the first year. Allow your baby to get to know himself and his own movements whilst being supported by you in the water. This gives him the chance to explore.
  • Babies and children often like to play with toys whilst in the water. We’d recommend that you give your baby time to get used to his swimming trips before introducing any other distractions such as toys.
  • Babies and children should always be supervised by competent adults when they play in or around water. Swimming/buoyancy aids do not replace the need for supervision - most aids are not lifesaving equipment and will not prevent drowning.
  • When you come out of the water with your baby remember to rinse off the chlorine/sea salt from his delicate skin before wrapping him warmly in a soft towel.
  • When you start swimming with your baby check his skin for any reactions to the chlorine. Most skin infections are usually easily manageable - have a chat with your Health Visitor if you notice anything unusual.
  Back To Top

4.

I would like to go to a Baby Swim School with my baby. What do I need to watch out for?
Many swimming pools offer Baby/Child Swim Schools. Make sure you check that the instructors have the appropriate teaching qualifications. If your child is nervous about the water or being left alone it may be worth staying with him during his first few lessons.

  Back To Top

Swimming is tons of fun for you and your baby. In fact Pampers has made swimming even better! Sunnies Swim Pants were especially designed to avoid messy accidents. And just like a bathing suit, they pull on easily and won’t swell in water. So pull on some Sunnies Swim Pants and get ready to swim!

Kirim email ke