Terima kasih banyak teman infonya

Sent from my BlackBerry®
powered by Sinyal Kuat INDOSAT

-----Original Message-----
From: boedoet <boed...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 12:11:01
To: <balita-anda@balita-anda.com>
Subject: Re: [balita-anda] Tanya tes lab NS1
dibawah saya copas artikel ttg demam dengue (saya lebih terbiasa pakai
istilah demam dengue mbak, bukan demam berdarah ;)... )

arikel diambil dari mayoclinic.com

artikel ttg trombosit turun kerena virus banyak bgt mbak... mungkin mbak
juga bisa search di web ya...

 Dengue fever
 Definition

Dengue (DENG-gay) fever is a disease — ranging from mild to severe — caused
by four related viruses spread by a particular species of mosquito. Mild
dengue fever causes high fever, rash, and muscle and joint pain. More-severe
forms of the disease — dengue hemorrhagic fever and dengue shock syndrome —
can additionally cause severe bleeding, a sudden drop in blood pressure
(shock) and death.

No specific treatment for dengue fever exists, and most people recover. But
if you have a severe form of the disease, you need hospital care.

Millions of cases of dengue infection occur worldwide each year. Most often,
dengue fever occurs in urban areas of tropical and subtropical regions. A
few cases have been reported in the United States — particularly in Texas,
along the border with Mexico, and in Hawaii.
Symptoms

Signs and symptoms of dengue fever vary, depending on the form and severity
of the disease.

*Dengue fever*
With the mild form of the disease, you may experience some or all of these
signs and symptoms:

   - High fever, up to 105 F (40.6 C)
   - A rash over most of your body, which may subside after a couple of days
   and then reappear
   - Severe headache, backache or both
   - Pain behind your eyes
   - Severe joint and muscle pain
   - Nausea and vomiting

Sign and symptoms usually begin about four to seven days after being bitten
by a mosquito carrying a dengue virus. Mild dengue fever rarely causes
death, and your symptoms will usually subside within a week after starting.

*Dengue hemorrhagic fever*
More-severe forms of the disease usually begin the same way as the mild form
(dengue fever) then become worse after several days.

Dengue hemorrhagic fever — a more severe form of the disease than initial
dengue fever — can cause signs and symptoms of dengue fever plus:

   - Significant damage to your blood and lymph vessels
   - A decrease in the number of blood cells that help your blood clot
   (platelets)
   - Bleeding from the nose and mouth
   - Bleeding under the skin, which gives the appearance of bruising
   - Death

*Dengue shock syndrome* — Dengue shock syndrome — the most severe form of
the disease — may cause signs and symptoms of mild dengue fever plus:

   - Severe abdominal pain
   - Frequent vomiting
   - Disorientation
   - Fluid (plasma) leakage from blood vessels
   - Heavy bleeding
   - A sudden drop in blood pressure (shock)
   - Death

Severe signs and symptoms may appear after your fever has improved. In a
small number of cases, people with a severe form of the disease die of it.
Modern supportive hospital care decreases this risk.

*When to see a doctor*
If you have any signs or symptoms of dengue fever, see your doctor. If
you've recently traveled to a region in which the disease is known to occur,
be sure to inform your doctor.
Causes

Dengue fever is caused by any one of four dengue viruses spread by the Aedes
aegypti mosquito. These mosquitoes thrive in and near human habitations,
where they breed in even the cleanest water.

Mosquitoes transmit the virus back and forth between humans. When a mosquito
bites a person infected with a dengue virus, the virus enters the mosquito's
bloodstream. It then circulates before settling in the salivary glands. When
the infected mosquito then bites another person, the virus enters that
person's bloodstream, where it may cause the serious illness.

You can become infected with dengue fever more than once. This happens when
you're exposed to a different one of the four dengue viruses from the one to
which you were previously exposed. Infection a second time is typically what
causes the more severe form of the disease — dengue hemorrhagic fever.
Risk factors

Factors that put you at greater risk of developing dengue fever or a more
severe form of the disease include:

   - *Living or traveling in tropical areas.* Being in tropical and
   subtropical areas around the world — especially in high-risk areas, such as
   tropical Asia, Central and South America, and the Caribbean — increases your
   risk of exposure to the virus that causes dengue fever. Dengue virus
   transmission occurs year-round, although the risk is highest during a
   recognized dengue fever outbreak.
   - *Prior infection with a dengue fever virus.* Previous infection with a
   dengue fever virus increases your risk of a more severe form of the disease.
   This is especially true for children. If you've had dengue fever before, you
   can get it again if you become infected with another one of the four
   dengue-causing viruses. Having antibodies to a virus in your blood from a
   fever, it actually increases your risk of severe disease — dengue
   hemorrhagic fever — if you're infected again.

Complications

Most people with dengue fever recover within five to 14 days. Some,
particularly adults, may feel listless, tired and even depressed for several
weeks to months after being infected.

If severe, dengue fever can lead to dengue hemorrhagic fever and dengue
shock syndrome, which can cause heavy bleeding, shock and — in a small
number of those with these conditions — death. Those who survive may
experience liver, blood vessel and brain damage, as well as seizures.
Preparing for your appointment

You'll likely start by seeing your family doctor or primary care provider.
But in some cases, when you call to set up an appointment, you might be
referred instead to a doctor who specializes in infectious diseases. If your
symptoms are severe, you might be instructed to seek urgent care.

Because appointments can be brief, and because there's often a lot of ground
to cover, it's a good idea to be well prepared for your appointment. Here's
some information to help you get ready, and what to expect from your doctor.

*What you can do *

   - *Write down any symptoms you're experiencing,* including any that may
   seem unrelated to the reason for which you scheduled the appointment.
   - *Write down key personal information.* List your international travel
   history, with dates and countries visited and medications taken while
   traveling. Bring a record of your immunizations, including pre-travel
   immunizations.
   - *Make a list of all medications,* as well as any vitamins or
   supplements, that you're taking.
   - *Take a family member or friend along,* if possible. Sometimes it can
   be difficult to soak up all the information provided to you during an
   appointment. Someone who accompanies you may remember something that you
   missed or forgot.
   - *Write down questions to ask your doctor.* Your time with your doctor
   is limited, so preparing a list of questions will help you make the most of
   your time together. List your questions from most important to least
   important in case time runs out.

For dengue fever, some basic questions to ask your doctor include:

   - What is likely causing my symptoms or condition?
   - What kinds of tests do I need?
   - What's the best course of action?
   - How long will it be before I'm feeling better?
   - Are there any long-term effects of this illness?
   - Do you have any brochures or other printed material that I can take
   home with me? What Web sites do you recommend?

In addition to the questions that you've prepared to ask your doctor, don't
hesitate to ask questions during your appointment at any time that you don't
understand something.

*What to expect from your doctor *
Be prepared to answer questions from your doctor, such as:

   - When did you first begin experiencing symptoms?
   - Have your symptoms been continuous or occasional?
   - How severe are your symptoms?
   - Does anything seem to make your symptoms better or worse?
   - Where have you traveled in the past 12 months?
   - Were you bitten by mosquitoes while traveling?
   - Have you been in contact recently with anyone who was ill?

Tests and diagnosis

Diagnosing dengue fever can be difficult. That's because its signs and
symptoms can be easily confused with those of other diseases, such as
malaria, leptospirosis and typhoid fever. To diagnose dengue fever, your
doctor will:

   - Evaluate your signs and symptoms
   - Review your medical and travel history
   - Test your blood for evidence of a dengue virus

*Medical history*
Your doctor will likely ask about your medical and travel history and any
exposure to mosquitoes. Be sure to describe international trips in detail,
including the countries you visited and the dates, as well as any contact
you may have had with mosquitoes.

*Blood tests*
Laboratory tests, usually using a sample of your blood, are needed to
confirm a diagnosis of dengue fever. If you have dengue fever, your blood
may reveal the virus itself. If not, blood tests known as hemagglutination
inhibition (HI) assay, enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) and reverse
transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) can detect antigens,
antibodies or nucleic acids specific to the viruses. These tests may take
several days.
Treatments and drugs

No specific treatment for dengue fever exists.

For a mild form of the disease, your doctor may recommend:

   - *Drinking plenty of fluids* to avoid dehydration from vomiting and high
   fever.
   - *Taking acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) to alleviate pain and reduce
   fever.* Don't take aspirin or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs,
   such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) and naproxen sodium (Aleve,
   others). These can increase the risk of bleeding complications.

For a more severe form of the disease, treatment consists of:

   - Supportive care in a hospital
   - Intravenous (IV) fluid and electrolyte replacement
   - Blood pressure monitoring
   - Transfusion to replace blood loss

If you have any form of dengue fever, you may also be kept away from
mosquitoes, to avoid transmitting the disease to others.
Prevention

A dengue fever vaccine is in development but isn't generally available. If
you're living or traveling in an area where dengue fever is known to be, the
best way to avoid dengue fever is to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes that
carry the disease.

To reduce your risk of mosquito bites, minimize your exposure to mosquitoes:

   - *Schedule outdoor activities for times when mosquitoes are less
   prevalent.* Avoid being outdoors at dawn, dusk and early evening, when
   more mosquitoes are buzzing about.
   - *Wear long-sleeved shirts, long pants, socks and shoes* when you go
   into mosquito-infested areas.
   - *Stay in air-conditioned or well-screened housing.* Patch screens if
   necessary, especially where there will be nighttime exposure.
   - *Apply permethrin-containing mosquito repellent to your
clothing,*shoes, and camping gear and bed netting. You can also buy
clothing made with
   permethrin already in it.
   - *Use repellent with a 10 to 30 percent concentration of DEET* on your
   skin. Choose the concentration based on the hours of protection you need — a
   10 percent concentration of DEET is effective for about two hours; higher
   concentrations last longer. However, chemical repellents can be toxic, so
   use only the amount needed for the time you'll be outdoors.

Don't use DEET on the hands of young children or on infants under 2 months
of age. Instead, cover your infant's stroller or playpen with mosquito
netting when outside. According to the Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention, oil of lemon eucalyptus, a more natural product, offers the same
protection as DEET when used in similar concentrations.

-b-

2010/9/4 <yuli.iskan...@gmail.com>

> Makasih Mbak infonya.
> Punya artikel ttg demam berdarah ato ttg trombosit yg turun kalau sedang
> kena infeksi virus tdk Mbak ?
>
> Thx
>
> Sent from my BlackBerry®
> powered by Sinyal Kuat INDOSAT