Mrs Kerry sorry for Mrs Bush slur

The wife of Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry
has been forced to apologise after criticising First Lady
Laura Bush in a newspaper interview.

Heiress Teresa Heinz Kerry, 66, told the USA Today
newspaper: "I don't know that she's ever had a real job."

Mrs Bush has previously worked as both a teacher and a
librarian.

The aspiring First Lady, who inherited the $500m Heinz
fortune, later said she had "forgotten" about Mrs Bush's "
important" careers.

In her interview, Mrs Heinz Kerry said: "I don't know Laura
Bush. But she seems to be calm, and she has a sparkle in
her eye, which is good.

"But I don't know that she's ever had a real job, I mean,
since she's been grown up."

Swift apology

But Mrs Bush, 57, is well known among voters for her
previous jobs, and is often referred to as "The Librarian".

Mrs Heinz Kerry quickly apologised for her remarks.

"I had forgotten that Mrs Bush had worked as a school
teacher and librarian, and there couldn't be a more
important job than teaching our children," she said in a
statement.

"As someone who has been both a full-time mom and full-time
in workforce, I know we all have valuable experiences that
shape who we are.

"I appreciate and honour Mrs Bush's service to the country
as First Lady, and am sincerely sorry I had not remembered
her important work in the past."

President Bush's advisors were quick to capitalise on Mrs
Heinz Kerry's mistake.

Senior advisor Karen Hughes told CNN that Mrs Heinz Kerry
had blundered even in her apology.

"She seems to have forgotten that being a mother is a real
job," Ms Hughes said.

"I think her comment threw an inappropriate wedge between
women who choose to work at home and women who choose to
work outside the home," she added.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/americas/3762894.stm
Published: 2004/10/21 12:21:30 GMT
(c) BBC MMIV

DUKUNG situs Balita-Anda.Com sebagai Situs Terbaik Wanita & Anak 2004-2005 versi
Majalah Komputer Aktif, dengan ketik: POLL ST WAN 2
ke nomor 8811, selama 16 Okt sd. 30 Nov. 2004.
Raih sebuah ponsel SonyEricsson K500i, dua buah ponsel Nokia 3100 dan 10 paket
merchandise komputerakt!f bagi para peserta polling yang beruntung. Satu nomor ponsel
hanya berhak memberikan satu suara dukungan untuk tiap kategorinya. Polling ini
berlaku untuk pelanggan Telkomsel, Indosat maupun Excelcom dengan tarif Rp 1.500.

>> Kirim bunga, buket balon atau cake, klik,http://www.indokado.com/
>> Info balita, http://www.balita-anda.com
>> Stop berlangganan, e-mail ke: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kirim email ke