Dear Moms & Dads,

Semoga artikel berikut dapat menjawab pertanyaan diatas.

Luluk
------------------

http://www.otispregnancy.org/pdf/hair_treatments.pdf

Hair Treatments and Pregnancy

The information below will help you determine if the use of hair
treatments during pregnancy represents an
increased fetal risk. With every pregnancy, all women have a 3 to 5
percent chance to have a baby with a birth
defect.

What are the different types of hair treatments?

Hair treatments include hair coloring, haircurling (permanents), hair
bleaching, and hairstraightening (relaxers) agents. Hair
coloringprocedures are divided into several groups determinedby the length
of time the color stays in the hair.These categories include temporary
dyes, semi-permanent dyes, and permanent dyes. Permanentdyes have received
the most attention, and theyinclude a variety of chemicals. Hair curling
orpermanent waves are produced by placing twosolutions in the hair. The
first solution is a wavingfluid and the second is a fixation or
neutralizationsolution. Hair bleaching involves the use of
hydrogenperoxide, and hair straighteners or hair relaxersinvolve a variety
of chemicals.

The amount of an exposure, the timing duringthe pregnancy and frequency of
use may be importantfactors when thinking about hair treatments
inpregnancy. Since many different chemicals are usedand manufacturers
frequently change formulations,these general guidelines are offered based
upon smalldoses, animal data and limited data in pregnantwomen. Cosmetic
products are frequently used, butare not generally evaluated for effects
on pregnancy

Do I absorb hair coloring/dye through my skin?

Low levels of hair dye can be absorbed
through the skin after application, and the dye is
excreted into the urine. This minimal amount is not
thought to be enough to cause a problem for the baby.

Before I was pregnant, I had my hair dyed every
couple of months. Is this safe now that I am
pregnant?

There are very few studies of hair dye use
during human pregnancy. In animal studies, at doses
100 times higher than what would normally be used
in human application, no significant changes were
seen in fetal development. We know that only a small
amount of any product applied to your scalp is
actually absorbed into your system and therefore,
little would be available to get to the developing
baby. In addition, many women have dyed their hair
during pregnancy with no known reports of negative
outcomes. This information, in combination with the
minimal absorption through the skin makes hair
treatment in pregnancy unlikely to be of concern.

I would like to have my hair permed and am
currently in the first trimester of my pregnancy. Is
there any risk for birth defects or miscarriage?

Similar to hair dyes, there is limited
information available for the safety of hair
permanents in pregnancy. The fixation solution used
during the application of the permanent may irritate
the scalp, but this has not been associated with any
other effects in the body. Very little absorption is
likely to occur and it does not seem to cause effects in
other parts of the body.

I have my hair straightened every two months. Can
I continue this into pregnancy?

A study in humans examined the use of hair
straighteners during pregnancy. The use of these
products was not found to increase the chance of low
birth weight or preterm delivery. The study did not
address the chance of other abnormal outcomes (such
as birth defects). Again, it is likely that only a small
amount of hair straightening products are actually
absorbed into your system, so the developing baby
would only be exposed to small amounts.

I work full time as a cosmetologist and recently
became pregnant. Should I stop working until the
baby is born?

A large study looked at the risk of
miscarriage in cosmetologists. A slightly increased
risk of miscarriage was found for cosmetologists who
had specific work activities. Activities that seemed to
contribute to the slightly increased risk included
working more than 40 hours per week, standing more
than 8 hours per day, higher numbers of bleaches and
permanents applied per week, and working in salons
where nail sculpturing was performed. Part time
cosmetologists (less than 35 hours per week) did not
seem to have an increased risk of miscarriage during
pregnancy.

In another study, miscarriage rates among
hairdressers were reviewed, and newer data was
compared to older data. The older data (from 1986-
1988) showed an increased risk of miscarriage, an
extended time trying to get pregnant, and low birth
weight. The newer data (from 1991-1993) did not
fine increased risks. The authors suggest that newer
restrictions on some dye formulas and better working
conditions have contributed to the better outcomes.
Both studies support the importance of proper
working conditions. Working in a well-ventilated
area, wearing protective gloves, taking frequent
breaks, and avoiding eating or drinking in the
workplace are all important factors that can decrease
chemical exposures.

Is it safe to have hair treatments while I am
breastfeeding?

There is no information on having hair
treatments during breastfeeding. It is highly unlikely
that a significant amount would enter the breast milk
because so little enters the mom’s bloodstream.
Many women receive hair treatments while
breastfeeding, and there are no known reports of
negative outcomes.

December 2001

Copyright OTIS,
Reproduced by permission.