Hi mbak Rina,

Kebetulan ada salah satu item FAQ yang bahas tentang
kasus yang mungkin serupa dengan kasus anak mbak.
Siapa tahu jadi tambahan info. Setahu saya, keringatan
pada usia bayi is almost always nothing to worry about
:)
Apalagi kalau kejadiannya saat sedang tidur lelap,
waktu tidur yang lebih lama membuat mereka cenderung
lebih keringatan dibandingkan anak lebih besar atau
orang dewasa.

Kalau menurut info tsb., berat badan baby dan suhu di
ruang tidurnya kadang jadi faktor penentu.  Coba
observe, mbak. Kecuali kalau keringat yang terlalu
berlebihan untuk bayi yang kategori kondisinya normal
banget mungkin perlu konsultasi dengan dokter karena
mungkin ada indikasi meningkatnya aktivitas kelenjar
adrenalin and/or thyroid.

Cheers,
Sylvia – Jovan’s mum

Expert Advice – Health

BABY SWEATS
By John Graef, MD, FAAP

Q. My nine-month-old sweats profusely at night
(especially from his head) and has been doing this
since he was born. He literally soaks the bedding and
his PJs. I put a little towel under his head so he
doesn't soak the sheets. It doesn't seem to bother
him, but it is a little disconcerting to me. Is this
something I should be worried about?

A. One of the reasons I enjoy writing this column is
the amount I learn in trying to answer readers'
questions. This one was a challenge.

First, let's talk about sweating itself. In
"medicalese," we call sweating diaphoresis. Sweating
is the body's way of trying to reduce the temperature.
The cause of sweating is usually one of these
conditions:
1. Increased ambient air temperature with humidity

2. Exertion -- While we don't usually think of infants
as exerting themselves in the usual sense of exercise,
an infant who perspires while doing things infants
normally do, such as eating, could be diaphoretic
because the child's heart may not be working well.
This may be the first clue doctors have to underlying
heart disease, because a failing heart doesn't provide
the infant with the oxygen needed even for simple
"tasks." However, such a condition is not likely to go
undetected for nine months, and the infant often has
other signs of a failing heart that your pediatrician
would recognize right away, including paleness,
swelling of the hands and feet, and unexplained rapid
breathing.

3. Certain conditions in which there is abnormal
secretion of certain hormones that can increase the
body's metabolic rate. An example is "cold sweats," or
sweating because we are nervous. Another example is
the body releasing what are called neurotransmitters
to try to improve blood flow to the brain. This is
characteristic of very low blood sugar in diabetics
who take too much insulin.
You asked if your baby's sweating is something to
worry about. Sweating tends to be more common in
people (and infants) with excessive body fat, again in
an effort to radiate off body heat. But few of these
circumstances quite fit what you describe as sweating
since birth. You didn't say how much your infant
weighs; it is important to know the weight and at what
temperature you keep your home and your infant's room.
It's also important to know if you run a humidifier in
the infant's room. If you do not, your question
concerns me.

In consulting with my colleagues, I encountered a
consensus that excessive sweating in an otherwise
normal infant might indicate an increase in activity
of the adrenal and/or thyroid glands. I would consult
your pediatrician, who might want to take a couple of
simple blood tests that measure adrenal and thyroid
function just to be on the safe side. If, on the other
hand, you like to keep your house at tropical
temperatures, that may adequately explain your baby's
perspiration.

Since perspiration, like most other normal body
functions, varies from individual to individual, the
chances are that your infant is entirely normal. Be
careful not to swaddle the baby too much, and it's
ideal if you keep the baby's room temperature
somewhere between 66°F and 72°F. Still, it never hurts
to run questions like this one past your own
pediatrician.

Note:
Dr. John Graef is associate clinical professor of
pediatrics at Harvard Medical School as well as senior
associate in medicine and chief of the Harvard
Vanguard Medical Service at Children's Hospital
Boston. He has been in some form of primary care
pediatric practice since 1982. John Graef, MD, FAAP,
is an expert advice contributor to Beansprout
Networks.

As stated in our Terms of Use, the information
provided on our website, including that found in the
"Expert Advice" area, is offered for educational
purposes only and is not a substitute for medical or
other professional advice and services from a
qualified healthcare provider. We recommend that you
seek the advice of your physician in all matters
regarding the health and well-being of your child,
urgent or otherwise