Beware of Lead in Popular Lipstick Brands-Fiction!

          Summary of the eRumor
The email says that several lipstick brands contain lead and suggests a simple way to tell whether there is lead in your lipstick.

          The Truth
We've spent a considerable amount of time looking into this one and there is nothing to substantiate the claims of this email. The most important thing that can be said is that in the United States, the Food and Drug Administration regulates the lead content in food and cosmetics. The lead levels, if there are any, are tiny and not regarded as harmful by the FDA.

The history of cosmetics does include products with lead content. According to the folks at Maybelline, certain ancient Greek women were said to have coated their face, necks, and breasts with a white powder before applying color make up. They didn't realize that the lead content of that white powder was toxic. In England, Elizabethan women used white lead face paint along with mercury sulfide for rouge. The attempts at beauty were marked with falling hair, sickness, and even death.

Some companies that manufacture what they call "natural cosmetics" do sometimes claim that mainstream products contain lead.

           Last updated 10/18/2003

     http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/l/lipstick.htm

     Origins:   This

terrifying warning about danger lurking in lipstick began frightening the makeup-wearing public in May 2003, even as it apparently offered them a way to protect themselves from dangerous products via a simple test which could supposedly identify a lurking threat to their wellbeing.

Lead may not necessarily cause cancer, but it most assuredly is an element dangerous to humans; one they should make every effort to distance themselves from. Exposure to lead can cause a range of deleterious health effects, from behavioral problems and learning disabilities to seizures and death. Children 6 years old and under are most at risk because their bodies are growing quickly, thus additional care has to be taken to protect them from exposure to this common element. In the past, many house paints were lead-based and the solder commonly used on plumbing joints contained lead, bringing this killer into numerous unsuspecting households. But lead awareness has improved in recent years, as have regulations restricting the use of lead in goods or products average consumers might have contact with. In this respect, our houses today are far safer than those of our parents and grandparents.

But what about the presence of lead in cosmetics? Although many dangerous substances (including lead) have been utilized as ingredients at various times in the history of makeup, and some women of earlier days caused themselves life-long health problems (or even managed to kill themselves) with beautifers that amounted to death in a jar, what goes into cosmetics these days is strictly regulated, controlled, and fully understood. While in the past anything and everything got tossed into the paintbox without anyone's knowing what could cause harm and what was safe to use, our modern world at least has safe cosmetics going for it.

We spoke with a compliance officer at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) about the possibility of lead being present in lipsticks. All dyes used in foodstuffs or cosmetics have to be vetted by the FDA for safety, and although some of the colorants the FDA grants approval to do contain lead, it is present in such miniscule amounts that is has no adverse effects on consumers. Manufacturers who wish to do business in the USA are restricted to the use of FDA-certifiable colors only; otherwise their products will not be allowed in the country or onto the shelves of American stores. Each of these approved dyes has its own rigid set of specifications which must be adhered to. For instance, F&C Red #6 cannot contain more than 20 parts per million of lead (also not more than 3 parts per million of arsenic or 1 part per million of mercury). As for how stringent these requirements are, every time a manufacturer prepares a batch of dye for use in its products, it has to submit a sample from that batch to the FDA for certification. The FDA's certification process is exhaustive and exhausting. And only the FDA can certify colors as safe - no one else has that authority.

The FDA further regulates the selection of dyes manufacturers can incorporate into their products according to the proposed end uses of the items in question. Thus, products intended for use on mucous membranes can contain only certain FDA-approved dyes rather than drawing from the full spectrum of approved dyes. Because the lips are considered mucous membranes, lipstick manufacturers may make their colorant selections only from this reduced pool.

Despite initial inability to see the resultant streaks (my eyesight is not nearly as good as it once was, which may partially explain why I believe my husband gets better looking with each passing year), further tests conducted under strong light by rubbing various metals across lipstick smears made on sheets of white paper produced dark brown marks. Rubs of pewter, copper, silver, and gold across samples drawn from three Revlon Colorstay Lipcolors left dark streaks in their wakes; rubs of stainless steel did not. Even coins produced reactions, with dimes and nickels leaving discernable streaks, although pennies did not. (Which is not all that surprising, given the reaction to copper noted above. Pennies are 2.5% copper and 97.5% zinc; nickels are 75% copper and 25% nickel, and dimes are 91.67% copper and 8.33% nickel.) All reactions were more noticeable against streaks of lighter-colored lipstick.

Yet the interests of science carried me further, especially after a call to Revlon failed to yield anything that would help explain what component of the cosmetic was reacting to those metals. Remembering that lipstick is (at its most basic) oil, wax, and color, I rubbed the four metals across swipes of wax made on white paper, and again saw dark streaks, albeit grey ones. Curiousity then inspired me to make yet another test with the four metals, this time against plain white paper. And once again, the grey streaks were there.

The streaks that supposedly herald the presence of lead in one's lipstick are in reality dark marks produced by the testing agents themselves. Gold, silver, copper, and pewter leave these trails no matter what they're rubbed against, in the same way that pencils make marks on whatever surfaces they are trailed along. That these marks appear more prominent against a lipstick backdrop is attributable to contrast - streaks that look grey against a white background seem brown against a reddish background, and brown is a color more readily picked out by the eye.

One further bit of lipstick lore needs be mentioned: the fallacious belief that over the course of her lifetime the average woman ingests 6 pounds of lipstick. We've seen this "statistic" blithely quoted as authoritative fact at various times as 6 pounds, 4 pounds, and even 5.65 pounds, but we have yet to locate the study from whence this startling tidbit of information was drawn.

Don't let the gob-smacking nature of the "statistic" prevent you from questioning it. Consider this: the average tube of lipstick contains about an ounce of the actual cosmetic. If women were swallowing 6 pounds of lipstick, that would amount to their ingesting the equivalent of 96 whole tubes. The average woman isn't even likely to own 96 lipsticks during her lifetime, let alone use them right down to their nubs, with none of her lip rouge ever being kissed off or left on the edge of her coffee mug.

     Barbara "lip service" Mikkelson
     http://www.snopes.com/toxins/lipstick.asp

Kirim email ke