Untuk Bapak yang istrinya mengalami diabetes saat
hamil, saya temukan artikel berikut, semoga berguna.

Mamanya Dafi

Gestational Diabetes

                   • What is gestational diabetes?

                   • How will having diabetes affect
my pregnancy?

                   • How common is gestational
diabetes?

                   • What are the risk factors?

                   • How do I know I have it?

                   • How is it treated?

                   • I've heard exercise can help. Is
that true?

                   • Will I continue to have diabetes
after my baby is born?

What is gestational diabetes?
                   Gestational diabetes is a
high-blood sugar condition that some women get during
                   pregnancy. Usually it goes away
after the baby is born--unlike other types of
                   diabetes.

                   Diabetes develops when the body
can't efficiently produce or process insulin, a
                   hormone the pancreas makes that
allows cells to turn glucose, or sugar, into
                   usable fuel.

                   Your body has to produce extra
insulin to meet your fetus's growing energy
                   needs--especially from
mid-pregnancy on. If your body can't process that
                   additional insulin sufficiently,
you'll most likely develop gestational diabetes. Your
                   blood sugar levels may also rise
too high because your body's hormonal changes
                   during pregnancy can interfere with
insulin function.

                   Your prenatal caregiver will
probably give you a blood test called a glucose
                   screening test. You'll most likely
have this test done as a routine part of your
                   prenatal care.

How will having diabetes affect my pregnancy?
                   That depends on how well you care
for yourself. If your diabetes goes untreated,
                   there are consequences for your
pregnancy. If your diabetes is well-controlled
throughout your pregnancy,
                   there's much less reason to worry.

                   The main risk in having extra
glucose in your blood is that it crosses over to the
baby, which means he can
                   become abnormally large. A big baby
obviously makes labor and delivery more difficult. It
increases the risk
                   of a delivery by cesarean section,
and means your baby could end up with jaundice or
breathing problems.

                   Some researchers believe large
babies are more prone to obesity later in life. As
adults, they're also more
                   apt to develop Type 2 diabetes
(known as non-insulin dependent diabetes or
adult-onset diabetes).

                   Babies born to women with
pre-pregnancy diabetes--especially women with poor
control over the
                   condition--also face greater risk
of having a child with birth defects.

How common is gestational diabetes?
                   Quite common, considering it's a
rather serious medical condition. Two to five percent
of all pregnant
                   women in the United States have
diabetes. Of course, some women had it before they
became pregnant.
                   But others with no history of the
condition can develop gestational diabetes.

What are the risk factors?
                   Those most at risk are women who
have had diabetes, or gestational diabetes, or
previously had one or
                   more large babies. Obese women are
at risk, as are those who've had pregnancy-related
problems, such
                   as a miscarriage or preeclampsia.
Others at risk:

                   • Older mothers (everyone's
tendency to develop diabetes increases with age)

                   • Women with hypertension (high
blood pressure)

                   • Women who were large babies
themselves (more than nine pounds at birth)

                   • Women with a parent or sibling
who is an insulin-dependent diabetic

                   How do I know I have it?
                   Usually women have no warning,
which is why all pregnant women are routinely tested.
Some women may
                   feel extreme thirst or fatigue.

                   Since many women who get
gestational diabetes have no risk factors, doctors
routinely give women a
                   glucose screening test between the
24th and 28th weeks. About an hour after you drink a
syrupy soft
                   drink, a blood sample is drawn and
then analyzed. If the test is positive, you'll undergo
an even more
                   detailed screening.

How is it treated?
                   The first step is to control your
glucose levels by adhering to a special diet. Most
doctors recommend you
                   follow the nutrition guidelines set
by the American Diabetes Association, which encourage
you to eat
                   healthy foods in the right amounts
and limit fats and sugars. A lot of women struggle
with their diet during
                   pregnancy, but if you have
diabetes, eating a balanced diet and controlling
weight gain are critical.

                   If a nutritional approach doesn't
work--the case for about one in ten women--your
provider may prescribe
                   insulin shots for you to give
yourself. Whether or not you take insulin, you'll need
to monitor your glucose
                   levels if you have gestational
diabetes. You'll learn how to do this using a home
glucose meter or strips.
                   Your unborn baby's weight and heart
rate will be regularly checked as well.

                   If you have diabetes and are
planning to become pregnant, try to get it under
control in the months before
                   you conceive; high blood-glucose
levels in the first trimester increase the risk of
birth defects. Your
                   pregnancy will probably be
considered high-risk, but that doesn't necessarily
mean you'll encounter
                   problems during your pregnancy,
particularly if blood glucose levels are normalized.

I've heard exercise can help. Is that true?
                   Yes. Studies show physical activity
helps keep glucose levels in check. Other evidence
suggests that
                   exercising before you get pregnant
can help prevent you from ever getting gestational
diabetes.

Will I continue to have diabetes after my baby is
born?
                   You'll be checked for it
postpartum, but the good news is that it disappears
after delivery in most women.
                   Nonetheless, if you had gestational
diabetes you increase your risk of developing diabetes
later in life. And
                   women who were obese before and
during pregnancy are much more more likely to remain
diabetic after
                   pregnancy.

Kunjungi: http://www.balita-anda.indoglobal.com
"Untuk mereka yang mendambakan anak balitanya tumbuh sehat & cerdas"

-= Dual T3 Webhosting on Dual Pentium III 450 - www.indoglobal.com =-
Etika berinternet, kirim email ke: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Berhenti berlangganan, e-mail ke:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
EMERGENCY ONLY! Jika kesulitan unsubscribe, email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Panduan Menulis Email yang Efektif http://hhh.indoglobal.com/email/
http://pencarian-informasi.or.id/ - Solusi Pencarian Informasi di Internet

Kirim email ke