Pak Hendri,
Sebenarnya saya tidak penyimpan artikel ini, tapi saya
carikan mudah-mudahan berguna bagi kita semua.

Mamanya dafi

What is placenta previa, and how common is it?
                   With placenta previa, the placenta
covers part or all of the cervix. About one
                   in 250 pregnant women develop this
complication, which can cause severe,
                   often painless bleeding usually
toward the end of the second trimester or later.
                   Uncontrolled hemorrhage can
jeopardize a woman's life and the life of her
                   baby, although this is rare. If the
bleeding doesn't stop or if placenta previa
                   causes preterm labor, the baby will
be delivered by c-section even if a woman's
                   due date is weeks away.

                   If an early ultrasound (between
12-14 weeks) shows the placenta near, or
                   covering the cervix, don't be
alarmed--it is most likely not placenta previa. As
                   the uterus grows, it naturally
pulls the placenta away from the cervix; in these
                   cases, medical intervention
generally isn't necessary.
What are the warning signs?
                                   Painless vaginal
bleeding during your third trimester can
                                   tip you off to the
problem, and if this happens you should
                                   call your doctor or
midwife immediately. But in many
                                   instances, there
are no warning signs. In fact, most
                                   cases of placenta
previa turn up during routine
                                   ultrasound exams.

                                   Leslie Louie, of
Oakland, California, is an example of
                                   someone who was
diagnosed with placenta previa too
                   early for warning signs to have
appeared. Three years after a normal pregnancy
                   with her first baby, Louie had
become pregnant again. Because she was over
                   35, her doctor performed a sonogram
at 16 weeks; it showed that the placenta
                   was closer to her cervix than it
should have been. But none of the doctors in
                   her group practice seemed
concerned, so Louie continued her rigorous
                   schedule. She even went camping and
took a trip to Africa.

                   Then a follow-up sonogram at 28
weeks showed that Louie's placenta was
                   indeed covering her cervix. "Once
my doctors realized it," says Louie, "they
                   told me to watch for signs of
bleeding." Her doctors also told her she would
                   deliver by cesarean section and
need to restrict her activities if she started
                   spotting or bleeding. What they
didn't say was that she'd also have to be on
                   strict bedrest until she delivered
her baby--something that took her by suprise
                   when she began bleeding four weeks
later.

                   Who's at risk?
                   Women who have delivered a baby by
cesarean section or have previously
                   been diagnosed with placenta previa
face a higher risk with later pregnancies. If
                   you're pregnant with twins, you're
also more likely to develop placenta previa,
                   though it's not clear why. And
smoking increases the risk of fetal loss for
                   women who have placenta previa. But
most women who develop the condition
                   have no apparent risk factors.

                   How is placenta previa treated?
                   Treatment depends on whether you're
bleeding and how far along you are in
                   your pregnancy. If the condition is
diagnosed after the 20th week, but you're
                   not bleeding, you'll probably be
asked to cut way back on your activity level
                   and increase the amount of time you
spend in bed. If you're bleeding heavily,
                   you'll have to be hospitalized
until you and the baby have been stabilized. If the
                   bleeding stops or is light you'll
have to continue bed rest until the baby is ready
                   to deliver.
--end----

What is placental abruption?
Expert: Joyce and Marshall Gottesfeld, M.D.

                   Question:   My wife had a placental
abruption at 18 weeks. She doesn't fall
                   into any of the high-risk groups
for this (does not smoke, drink, do drugs, no
                   accidents). What could have caused
this to happen? She and the baby are fine
                   now, but she's on bedrest for the
rest of the pregnancy.

                   Joyce and Marshall Gottesfeld:
We're so sorry to hear about your
                   pregnancy scare. We're glad both
baby and mother seem to be doing well.
                   Placenta abruption is a condition
in which the placenta separates from the
                   uterus prematurely. You're right,
this condition is more common in
                   mothers-to-be who smoke, do drugs,
have had an accident, or abuse alcohol.
                   Placenta abruption is also more
likely to occur in mothers who are older, have
                   hypertension, or took aspirin late
in pregnancy.

                   Bleeding is the main sign of
placenta abruption, and it varies depending on the
                   severity of the separation. Other
signs include cramping and uterine
                   tenderness, which again vary with
the severity of the abruption.

                   Unfortunately, in your case, there
is no clear-cut reason for the cause of the
                   abruption. At this point,
conservatively managing the condition with bedrest
will
                   likely result in a good outcome.
When the separation is minor, bedrest usually
                   stops the bleeding. Sometimes, in
mild cases, the mother can resume her
                   normal routine after a few days of
bedrest.

                   Complete bedrest — no getting out
of bed except to bathe and use the toilet
                   — also works for moderate cases.
When the abruption is severe — that is,
                   when more than half of the placenta
separates from the uterine wall —
                   immediate medical attention and
delivery are necessary.

                   Since your wife is on bedrest, I'm
assuming her separation was either minor or
                   moderate. Nowadays, the good news
is that with prompt attention and expert
                   care, nearly all the mothers with
placenta abruption and their babies survive
                   this crisis.