Thanks banget atas infonya mbak.
Balasannya juga saya sudah terima.
Have a good day,
Tia

mamanya Dafi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 11/07/2000 09:06:42 AM

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc:    (bcc: Tia Sutarno/ID/QUES/ICI)
Subject:  Re: [balita-anda] FW: To all my beloved Friends

Sebelumnya maaf ya mbak Tia, saya hanya ingin yakin
dengan informasi ini. Berikut saya dapatkan informasi
yang berbeda dari Discovery channel yang insya Allah
infromasinya akurat.
BTW, email mbak sudah saya balas, sampai kan?

Mamanya Dafi

Medical Myths in Cyberspace
Juju Chang: As a lot of us know, the Internet is a
fantastic tool for medical research,which is not to
say that everything you read on the Internet is true.
In fact, there are a lot of medical myths making their
way through cyberspace. Today, Dr. Lisa Callahan,
Assistant Professor of Medicine at Cornell University
Medical College, has joined us to help separate fact
from fiction. Thanks for joining us. There's one that
everyone seems to e-mail around, and that is that
breast cancer can be caused by antiperspirants
containing aluminum. Is there any truth in that?
Dr. Lisa Callahan: No, Juju, there's not. That has
been going around for 40 or 50 yearsnow. It pops up
every now and then, scares a lot of women, and there's
just no truth to it. I think what happened is that
people got this idea a few years ago that maybe the
aluminum clogged up the ducts, and somehow that caused
some back up of you know, ill humours if you will,
that cause cancer. But it's just not true.
Juju Chang: Well, that very popular myth has prompted
another question from one of our viewers, Dana of
Forest Hills, New York, wrote, 'Can waxing under your
arms cause breast cancer?'
Dr. Lisa Callahan: Absolutely not. All waxing does is
pull the hair out by the root. It does not get
absorbed into the body, and it cannot cause cancer.
Juju Chang: And certainly it's not the wax. Is there
anything that you put on your skin that can cause
cancer?
Dr. Lisa Callahan: You know, there isn't. And that's
what a lot of these myths are. There is a possibility
that certain things you eat might be associated with
cancer. But you don't have to worry that putting
something on your skin is going to cause a problem.
Juju Chang: Well, let's debunk some of these other
myths. The wildest story that I've heard is the one
that there's a new contraceptive drug called
Progesterex, allegedly with a side affect of
sterility. Also, it's rumored that men are slipping
this so-called new drug into women's drinks. Is that
true?
Dr. Lisa Callahan: No, Juju. And that is just a
horrible rumor that's out there to scare young women.
Progesterone is a hormone that occurs naturally in the
body. I've never heard of this drug Progesterex. It's
not listed in a pharmaceutical list of contraceptive
drugs. And there is no drug that you could take one
time to cause sterility. So women just don't need to
worry about that.
Juju Chang: There's another unbelievable rumor
floating around cyberspace that has to do with
shampoo, and those containing sodium laureth sulfate,
and whether or not that causes cancer.
Dr. Lisa Callahan: You know, maybe if you drink tons
of it, it could do something to you on the inside. But
it's certainly not going to do anything if you put it
on your hair. All it does is strip the chemicals off
your hair that you put on through shampoos and
connditioner and hair spray and that type of thing.
But it's not going to cause cancer.
Juju Chang: And the last story that we have is, 'To
survive a heart attack while alone you should cough
repeatedly and vigorously ... true or false?'
Dr. Lisa Callahan: Absolutely false, JuJu. If you're
alone, call for help. Call 911. But don't waste your
time and energy coughing.
Juju Chang: What explains why something like that
would come out on the Internet as some sort of medical
myth?
Dr. Lisa Callahan: Sometimes there are people out
there who just want to cause mischief, who want to
scare people, who want to frighten people. And there
are some people who are just misguided in their
belief, because they've read something or heard
something and they go out and scare a lot of people.
Juju Chang: I'm amazed at the amount of currency that
these myths can gather from friends of mine who are
reasonable, intelligent, well-educated adults, who are
e-mailing me really frightened.
Dr. Lisa Callahan: Well, a lot of us are frightened
about things that we can't control. And there are a
lot of things we don't understand about cancer. And so
cancer in itself is a big fear for a lot of people. So
every time a myth comes up, that oh, well, this causes
cancer,or that's associated with cancer, people often
forget their common sense, and they believe it.
Juju Chang: There's another myth that someone e-mailed
me that had to do with sunscreens, and how putting
sunscreen on your children can cause blindness?
Dr. Lisa Callahan: Not true! Again, it's something
you're putting on your skin. It's not going to cause a
problem like that.
Juju Chang: These kinds of hoaxes really sort of point
out the need to have a good relationship with your
doctor.
Dr. Lisa Callahan: Absolutely! A good relationship
with your primary care doctor, so you can e-mail your
doctor, or send this information to your doctor, and
say, 'Is there any truth to this?' So your doctor can
reassure you that there's not.
Juju Chang: Is there a dead giveaway that something
like this is false? Briefly?
Dr. Lisa Callahan: Well, if it says "this happened to
my cousin's brother's uncle" you'd better watch out.
------end------

http://shopping.yahoo.com/

>> Kirim bunga ke-20 kota di Indonesia? Klik, http://www.indokado.com
>> Info balita, http://www.balita-anda.indoglobal.com
Etika berinternet, email ke: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stop berlangganan, e-mail ke: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This email is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is for the
intended recipient only.  Access, disclosure, copying, distribution, or
reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited and may be a criminal
offence.  Please delete if obtained in error and email confirmation to the
sender.

>> Kirim bunga ke-20 kota di Indonesia? Klik, http://www.indokado.com
>> Info balita, http://www.balita-anda.indoglobal.com
Etika berinternet, email ke: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stop berlangganan, e-mail ke: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kirim email ke