Mbak Quinike,
Kalau pemakaian tampon adalah berbahaya, saya percaya, tapi kalau pemakaian
pads/kotex saya rasa tidak ada bahayanya, seperti disebut di artikel
tersebut:
" Other feminine hygiene products (pads/napkins) contain dioxin as well, but
they are not nearly as dangerous since they are not in direct contact with
the vagina.  The pads/napkins need to stop being bleached, but obviously
tampons are the most dangerous. "
Untungnya di Indonesia pemakaian tampon tidak terlalu populer.

Salam,
Wita

Dear rekan netters,
saya dapat email seperti ini, ini hoax chain letter bukan sih?
Ada yg pernah dapat? Sepertinya dulu ada bahasan ttg penggunaan diaper,
yang katanya bisa bikin mandul, apa spt ini juga?
Thx.

Quinike

This is some disturbing information that should be shared.  It definitely
deserves further investigation.  Please continue to forward to women you
know and to men so that they can forward to women they know as well. If
this is  true, something needs to be done.

   PADS
   If you are a woman and use pads, but especially if you
   use tampons, read this and pass on to your friends
   for the men receiving this e-mail, please forward it
   to your friends, significant others, sisters, mothers,
   daughters, etc.) thanks!

   Check the labels of the sanitary pads or tampons that
   you are going to buy the next time, and see whether
   you spot any of the familiar signs stated in this
   e-mail. No wonder so many women in the world suffer
   from cervical cancer and womb tumors. Have you heard
   that tampon makers include asbestos in tampons? Why
   would they do this? Because asbestos makes you bleed
   more, if you bleed more, you're going to need to use
   more. Why isn't this against the law since asbestos is
   so dangerous? Because the powers that be, in all their
   wisdom (not), did not consider tampons as being
   ingested, and therefore wasn't illegal or considered
   dangerous.

   This month's Essence magazine has a small article
   about this and they mention two manufacturers of a
   cotton tampon alternative. The companies are Organic
   Essentials @ (800) 765-6491 and Terra Femme @ (800)
   755-0212. A woman getting her Ph.D. at University of
   Colorado at Boulder sent the following:"I am writing
   this because women are not being informed about the
   dangers of something most of us use tampons.  I am
   taking a class this month and I have been learning a
   lot about biology and woman, including much about
   feminine hygiene. Recently we have learned that
   tampons are actually dangerous (for other reasons than
   TSS).
   I'll tell you this, after learning about this in our
   class, most of the females wound up feeling angry and
   upset with the tampon industry, and I for one, am
   going to do something about it. To start, I want to
   inform everyone I can, and e-mail is the fastest way
   that I know how.

   HERE IS THE SCOOP:
   Tampons contain two things that are potentially
   harmful: Rayon (for absorbency), and dioxin (a
   chemical used in bleaching the products). The tampon
   industry is convinced that we, as women, need bleached
   white products in order to view the product as pure
   and clean. The problem here is that the dioxin
   produced in this bleaching process can lead to very
   harmful problems for a woman. Dioxin is potentially
   carcinogenic (cancer-associated) and is toxic to the
   immune and reproductive systems. It has also been
   linked to endometriosis and lower sperm counts for
   men-for both, it breaks  down the immune system. Last
   September the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
   reported that there really is no set "acceptable"
   level of exposure to dioxin given that it is
   cumulative and slow to disintegrate.

   The real danger comes from repeated contact (Karen
   Houppert "Pulling the Plug on the Tampon Industry").
   I'd say using about 4-5 tampons a day, five days a
   month, for 38 menstruating years is "repeated
   contact", wouldn't' you? Rayon contributes to the
   danger of tampons and dioxin because it is a highly
   absorbent substance. Therefore, when fibers from the
   tampons are left behind in the vagina (as it usually
   occurs), it creates a breeding ground for the dioxin.
   It also stays in a lot longer than it would with just
   cotton tampons. This is also the reason why TSS (toxic
   shock syndrome) occurs.
   WHAT ARE THE ALTERNATIVES?
   Using feminine hygiene products that aren't bleached
   and that are all cotton. Other feminine hygiene
   products (pads/napkins) contain dioxin as well, but
   they are not nearly as dangerous since they are not in
   direct contact with the vagina.  The pads/napkins need
   to stop being bleached, but obviously tampons are
   the most dangerous. So, what can you do if you can't
   give up using tampons?  Use tampons that are made from
   100% cotton, and that are UNBLEACHED.
   Unfortunately, there are very, few companies that make
   these safe tampons. They are usually only found in
   health food stores. Countries all over the  world
   Sweden, German, British Columbia, etc.) have demanded
   a switch to this safer tampon, while the U.S. has
   decided to keep us in the dark about it.  In 1989,
   activists in England mounted a campaign against
   chlorine bleaching. Six weeks and 50,000 letters
   later, the makers of sanitary products switched
   to oxygen bleaching (one of the green methods
   available). (MS magazine, May/June 1995).

   WHAT TO DO NOW:
   Tell people. Everyone. Inform them. We are being
   manipulated by this industry and the government, let's
   do something about it! Please write to the companies:
   Tampax (Tambrands), Playtex, O.B., Kotex. Call the 800
   numbers listed on the boxes. Let them know that we
   demand a safe product ALL COTTON UNBLEACHED TAMPONS.

   Reminder:
   P.S. In order not to lose the impact of this e-mail, I
   suggest that anyone who want to forward to your
   friends, PLEASE copy this mail and paste to a NEW
   message. That way it will not distort the whole
   message with all the forward arrows. Please do this
   with consideration and seriousness.  Thanks!
   Fiona Scott Department of Forensic Psychiatry
   Institute of Psychiatry
   De Crespigny Park London SE5 8AF
   Tel: 020 7848 0917
   Fax: 020 7848 0921