Our son Matthew, at age two was a very focused child.
He would become so engrossed in a play activity that
it was difficult for him to let go when it was time to
leave. one day when he was playing and it was time for
us to depart (we were late for an appointment), Martha
scooped Matthew up and carried him to the door.
Matthew protested with a typical two-year-old tantrum.
At first she had the usual "Hey, I'm in charge here"
feelings and felt that she was justified in expecting
Matthew to obey quickly and be willing to leave his
toys. But as Martha was carrying the flailing child
out the door, she realized that her discipline gauge
was out of balance and she was not handling things in
the best way. Her actions were a result of her need to
leave, but they didn't take into account Matthew's
need for advance warning and a more gradual
transition. She realized it wasn't in Matthew's nature
to switch gears quickly, even if we did have a
deadline. He was not defying her. He was just being
true to himself. He needed more time to let go of his
activities. So she calmly took him back to the play
setting, sat down with him and together they said
"Bye-bye toys, bye-bye trucks, bye-bye cars," until he
could comfortably release himself from his activities.
It only took a couple of minutes, time that would
otherwise have been wasted struggling with Matthew in
the car. This was not a "technique" or "method"; this
disciplinary action evolved naturally from the mutual
respect between parent and child and the knowledge
that Martha had about Matthew. At the end of this
exercise Martha felt right because it had accomplished
what she wanted - getting Matthew out of the house
with the least amount of hassle. She taught him a
method of releasing himself from an activity without
resorting to a tantrum. That's what discipline is all
about.

Realizing how much better discipline worked when we
considered our children's needs in our decisions was a
major turning point for us. Initially, we had to work
through the fear that we were letting our children
manipulate us, because we had read, heard from others,
and grown up with the idea that good parents are
always in control. We found, however, that considering
our child's point of view actually helped us take
charge of them. Knowing our children became the key to
knowing how to discipline them. They knew we were in
charge because we were able to help them obey. That
left no doubt in their minds or ours that Mom and Dad
knew best.
------to be continued----