>From Babycenter..

Can I have my child's birthmark removed?
It depends. If your child's birthmark isn't
disfiguring, it's best to leave it alone. If she has,
however, a cavernous hemangioma on her face, you may
be understandably distressed by its appearance and
want to do something about it now. Because most of
these birthmarks will fade away by the time your child
is ready for school, it's unlikely your pediatrician
will recommend any special treatment. But some experts
have challenged this wait-and-see approach, arguing
that enough of these birthmarks never disappear
completely, and that early intervention to treat
hemangiomas or other vascular malformations can save a
child unnecessary psychological pain. Some hemangiomas
and vascular birthmarks do require treatment,
especially if they're on or close to an eye, throat,
or mouth. Consult your doctor about the best approach.

Treatment options
Treatment options include cryosurgery — freezing off
the birthmark — surgery, X-ray, laser therapy, or
topical steroids. Almost all birthmark-removal
treatments may cause some scarring, which can be
remedied with plastic surgery. Port-wine stains are
difficult to remove completely but laser therapy can
usually make them lighter. Speaking at an American
Academy of Dermatology meeting in September 1999,
Elizabeth I. McBurney, a clinical professor of
dermatology at Louisiana State University Medical
School and Tulane Medical School in New Orleans, said
that new laser treatments that destroy the abnormal
blood vessels can be safely used on very young
children — even newborns.

How should I deal with people who make unkind remarks
about my child's birthmark?
The best way to handle strangers — and family and
friends — who may stare or make insensitive remarks
about your child's birthmark is to talk to them
directly. Most people don't mean to be insensitive,
says Milton Waner. If you notice someone pointing or
staring at your child, Waner recommends that you
approach the person in a friendly manner and explain
that your child has a birthmark that's being treated.
If you get tired of the constant questions, you may
want to print up simple note cards that do the
explaining for you.