Page: http://news.serbianunity.net/bydate/2005/April_15/16.html

Time: Saturday, 04/16/2005, 05:43:01 AM

C Serbian Unity Congress. All rights reserved

Unless specifically noted, the views expressed through various news items
received are not necessarily the views of the Serbian Unity Congress. The
same are posted under fair use provision for education and public
information.

The path to independence
International Herald Tribune
April 15, 2005

by Ibrahim Rugova

Six years after NATO went to war to stop widespread human rights abuses in
Kosovo, an interim United Nations mission still administers Kosovo alongside
its democratically elected government, while troops from more than 30
countries provide security. Both the international community, stretched as
it is by crises around the globe, and we who live here are anxious for
Kosovo to complete its passage from chaos to stability. And despite
continuing difficulties, success is in sight.

Elections last October resulted in the creation of a government led by
Ramush Haradinaj that accomplished more in 100 days than other governments
had in the previous three years. This government and its successor have
focused all their efforts on what are known here as the Standards, an
intermeshed set of reforms necessary for Kosovo to become a stable,
functional member of the European family.

Later this year, the UN Security Council will assess whether Kosovo has come
far enough to begin the process that will lead to the resolution of its
final status. I read recently in the American press of the idea of
appointing a U.S. envoy to catalyze this process and would warmly welcome
such a contribution.

But regardless of the diplomatic architecture, we know that the Security
Council's judgment will hinge foremost on whether Kosovo's minority
communities, particularly Kosovo Serbs, can live in conditions of security
and dignity. We are determined to show that this country is big enough to
embrace all people - irrespective of ethnicity. Our governing coalition has
already made very positive moves in this direction.

Slavisha Petkovic, a Kosovo Serb who was an "internally displaced person"
before returning to Kosovo, was made head of the Ministry for Returns and
Communities. The government allocated his ministry ?14 million, or $18
million - the third-biggest budget of any ministry. Patriarch Pavle, head of
the Serbian Orthodox Church, recently agreed to accept ?4.2 million that the
government budgeted last year to repair damage that rioters did to Orthodox
churches in March 2004.

The government also helped to create a positive climate for the return of
displaced people. In February, Haradinaj penned an open letter in which he
made tolerance the cornerstone of a new Kosovo. He wrote: "All Kosovo
citizens have a moral and civic obligation to understand the importance of
the processes which we are passing through as a country and society ... by
fostering the sense of tolerance, understanding and respecting each other.
Most Albanians have a special obligation to members of the Serb community."

Only weeks later, Kosovars learned that the international tribunal in The
Hague had indicted their prime minister. In keeping with his commitment to
international standards, Haradinaj flew to The Hague the next day and turned
himself in to the tribunal. Soren Jessen-Petersen, head of the UN Interim
Mission in Kosovo, was among those who praised Haradinaj's response as both
dignified and courageous.

Last month, Kosovo's new Assembly voted by a large majority for a new
government, a continuation of the previous coalition between the Democratic
League of Kosovo and the Alliance for Kosovo's Future, with Bajram Kosumi as
prime minister. Kosumi is no stranger to the problems of his country. He has
spent his adult life in the cause of liberation and was jailed for almost 10
years for his role in peaceful protests in the early 1980s. He was also part
of the Rambouillet negotiations that set the stage for NATO's intervention.
Most important of all, as Kosovo moves toward settlement of its final status
and integration with Europe, is the fact that his government expects to have
achieved by June from 90 percent to 95 percent of the 61 priority standards
goals set by the international community.

In 1991, the vast majority of Kosovars who are Albanian voted for
independence. As everyone who knows Kosovo is aware, independence has been
the unwavering ambition of Kosovo's Albanian majority ever since. It will
remain so until that goal has been realized. But we know that to make Kosovo
a respected member of the European family and the kind of place we would
wish to leave to our children, we must focus our full energies on ensuring
that all its citizens can prosper in a common home. As Kosovo's president, I
pledge to use all my moral authority to help accomplish this noble aim for
the good of all of Kosovo's people.

Yahoo! Groups Links