This is information about Tom DeLay and comes from the Office of the
Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer - April 02, 2003.

Just so you know.  Stella

IN HIS OWN WORDS: WHAT TOM DELAY USED TO SAY…

• "This is [President Clinton's] war." Washington Post, 4/14/99

• "The Kosovo operation is different and oxymoronic.  It is a 'peace
war' waged by 'peace hawks' pursuing a dovish social agenda.  Peace
hawks are global idealists and former anti-war activists, including
the youthful Bill Clinton." Floor Statement, 4/15/99

• "Doing good on a worldwide scale appeals to peace hawks, who are
motivated by altruism, not patriotism." Floor Statement, 4/15/99

• "There's no national interest of the United States in Kosovo. It's
flawed policy and it was flawed to go in. I think this president is
one of the least effective presidents of my life time. He's hollowed
out our forces while running round the world with these adventures."
The Guardian, 5/17/99

• "American foreign policy is now one huge big mystery.  Simply put,
the administration is trying to lead the world with a feel-good
foreign policy." Floor Statement on Resolution on Peacekeeping
Operations in Kosovo, 3/11/99

• "Bombing a sovereign nation for ill-defined reasons with vague
objectives undermines the American stature in the world.  The
international respect and trust for America has diminished every time
we casually let the bombs fly.  We must stop giving the appearance
that our foreign policy is formulated by the Unabomber." Floor
Statement on Resolution on Peacekeeping Operations in Kosovo, 3/11/99

• "Mr. Chairman, I rise today to voice my complete opposition to
sending American troops to Kosovo.  There is simply no vision to this
mission.  There is a six-year trend to send American troops anywhere
for any reason, but there are no consistent goals that tie all of
these missions together."  Floor Statement on Resolution on
Peacekeeping Operations in Kosovo, 3/11/99

• "I rise today to state that no defense funds should be used for
ground forces in Kosovo unless authorized by Congress." Floor
Statement, 4/15/99

 • "So what they are doing here is they are voting to continue an
unplanned war by an administration that is incompetent of [sic]
carrying it out.  I hope my colleagues will vote against this
resolution." Floor Statement on S. Con. Res. 21, 4/15/99

• "It is clear that any deployment to Kosovo will similarly drag on
and go enormously over budget."  Floor Statement, 4/28/99

• "When asked the question, 'what if he does not come to the table,'
they said, 'well, we will go to Phase 2, and Phase 2 is that we will
bomb for a few more days. Then he will be going to the table, by
crackie.' And when we asked, 'Then, what?' then they said, 'well, we
will bomb for another week and that will force him to come to the
table and this will be all over with.' And then when we asked, 'Then,
what?' there was silence. This administration started a war without a
plan farther along than two weeks."  Floor Statement, 4/28/99

• "I cannot support a failed foreign policy. History teaches us that
it is often easier to make war than peace. This administration is just
learning that lesson right now. The President began this mission with
very vague objectives and lots of unanswered questions. A month later,
these questions are still unanswered. There are no clarified rules of
engagement. There is no timetable. There is no legitimate definition
of victory. There is no contingency plan for mission creep. There is
no clear funding program. There is no agenda to bolster our
overextended military. There is no explanation defining what vital
national interests are at stake. There was no strategic plan for war
when the President started this thing, and there still is no plan
today."  Floor Statement, 4/28/99

• "Instead of sending in ground troops, we should pull out the forces
we now have in the region. Mr. Speaker, I do not think we should send
ground troops to Kosovo and I do not think we should be bombing in the
Balkans, and I do not think that NATO should be destroyed by changing
its mission into a humanitarian invasion force." Floor Statement,
4/28/99

• "So what they are doing here is they are voting to continue an
unplanned war by an administration that is incompetent of carrying it
out. I hope my colleagues will vote against the resolution."  Floor
Statement, 4/28/99

• "It's very simple.  The president is not supported by the House, and
the military is supported by the House."  As quoted in USA Today,
regarding Floor votes on Kosovo, 4/30/99

• "For us to call this a victory and to commend the President of the
United States as the Commander in Chief showing great leadership in
Operation Allied Force is a farce."  Floor Statement opposing
resolution commending America's successful campaign in Kosovo, 7/1/99
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yahoo! Groups Links