The New Streets of Belgrade
By Alex M (07/25/05)

Last year about 50 street names were changed in Belgrade, and the new street signs have been put up on them just a few days ago. This may not seem like much to Americans, but the new street signs in Belgrade are a cause for celebration among many Serbs. The 50 old signs were all communist street names and the new signs either are the old street names, prior to WW 2, names that relate to Serbian historical figures and leaders, or are completely NEW names. The pictures are "Bulevar oslobodjenja" - Boulevard of Liberation (could mean from the Turks, the Germans, the communists). The other, my favorite, is now called again by its old name - "Kraljice Natalije" - Queen Nathalie Street.

Bulevar oslobodjenja - Boulevard of Liberation

Bulevar oslobodjenja - Boulevard of Liberation

Kraljice Natalije - Queen Nathalie Street

Kraljice Natalije - Queen Nathalie Street

I’ve attached pictures of two of the signs. Of course, they are in cyrilic. At least you now have an idea of what it looks like in cyrilic. People must have thought of me as a loony toony as I walked around Belgrade taking photos of street names. WHO ELSE DOES THAT? Nobody, probably.

But it makes me so happy to see these new street names that remind us of Serbia’s rich history, its historical figures, leaders, important people, tradition and romance. Many of the streets have the names of our much loved Kings and Queens of a happier time in history, when Serbia had its place, its meaning.

The Royal Palace is now located at Prince Alexander Boulevard, ironically bearing the identical name of our Crown Prince who was able to return home after the fall of the communist government and after the democratic peaceful revolution that changed Serbia in October 2000. It is wonderful to have the Palace occupied again with a Prince and a Princess who are helping to rebuild the country and our traditions and, especially, our hospitals, helping the elderly, the ill and the young. What they are doing is very heartwarming.

YES, Serbia is finding its traditional roots again. And with that will come the strengthening of our faith in God and Jesus Christ that has always been the strength of the Serbian people.

Every little step like this is actually a big one for us, because it means that Serbia is winning and communism is losing (whatever still remains of it). That is a process which cannot be stopped or reversed. And that is the biggest reason why I am writing this to you.

Greetings from Belgrade,

Alex

Editors note: Just another of our efforts to help Americans and Europeons understand each other a little better.

http://www.americandaily.com/article/8398

Yugoslavia Serbian Serb
Flag of yugoslavia Yugoslavia flight

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS