Vicomte leBlanc,

I could not help but overhear Your Lordship's recent interview with His
Majesty at Versailles - and what I heard almost gave me apoplexy! That such
a prominent gentleman should prove so ignorant in matters of etiquette was
beyond belief!!!

For your future reference, My Lord, His Majesty should invariably be
addressed as 'Your Majesty', or as 'May it Please Your Most Gracious
Majesty' should one seek to be especially formal (such as when begging for a
sentence of Death to be commuted to Exile, for example).

Instead of which I heard you insultingly address His Majesty as both 'Your
Grace' (reserved for Ducs or Archbishops) and 'Your Highness' (used to refer
to younger Princes and Princesses). I am amazed that His Majesty did not
have you clapped in irons on the spot!

Please refer to my book 'Modern Manners at the Court of King Louis' for
further guidance. Should you continue make a mockery of courtly mores I fear
that you will come to a very bad end indeed, My Lord.

Your Candid Friend,

Comte Emptius de Staigne
Personal Private Secretary to His Royal Highness Le Dauphin


Reply via email to