Yes, yes, I know, I know. While I'm no vi or emacs guru, I've paired (for a fair amount of time) with experienced VI and Emacs users. Snippets, Ctags etc. help a great deal - but have you ever worked with an AST aware development environment where you can safely make structural changes across your entire codebase?

Try extracting an Interface from a Class and replace all references to the class with references to the interface across a 5000 class codebase by hand in a few seconds, without a single error afterward. How about add a parameter to a constructor, and have all references to said constructor changed? You can do all that and more with IntelliJ.

The thing is, code should be like clay in the hands of a hacker; the fact that we have to deal with the AST via a text 'view' *really* slows us down. We often hesitate to make necessary changes because the manual effort involved in getting the refactoring done, and then testing it afterward for bugs is non-trivial. Even a simple 'Rename Class' refactoring can become a chore in a large codebase.

The guys at Intentional and JetBrains are taking a serious shot at letting us mould the AST directly - but until their efforts reach maturity, IntelliJ is the closest we're going to get to it (and its going to be open source soon). I'm happy to demo it sometime, too. Don't diss it until you've tried it, preferably on a non toy project.

Best,
Sidu.