In a LUG list a ruby guy made a statement

> that 'No self respecting developer could function without having read
> the refactoring book'. How relevant is this to python?

I'd say this is relevant if you're working in an OO language. Refactoring
applies anywhere, but the patterns documented in the book apply pretty much
only to OO languages.

How relevant is this to python? I do not see much
> except years ago something called bicycle repair man - is that still
> used?

I think the tools (like Bicycle Repair Man) are merely aids to techniques to
keeping a clean house. They make make things easier, but they aren't
essential.

'No self respecting developer could function without having read
> the refactoring book'.

A rather strong statement, but I would tend to agree. We could probably
figure out much of what Martin talks about by ourselves over time, but then
again, maybe not. For me, Refactoring, Code Complete, The Mythical Man Month
and The Pragmatic Programmer are an essential foundation for good software
engineering practices.

Santosh,

I don't want to start an argument here. But here is my personal take on
> this.

Sure, I don't either. Here's my personal take on this.

1) A self respecting developer will NOT need to refactor his code in
> the first place.

If said self respecting developer writes perfect code the first time around
on a project for which requirements never change or evolve, then yes, you
wouldn't need to refactor.

2) Given the movement towards functional programming, you don't need
> refactoring at all.

I haven't written functional code professionally, but I suppose it's
possible that fp programmers write perfect code the first time around and
all their projects have unchanging requirements.

Best,
Sidu.
http://c42.in