On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 6:51 PM, kunal ghosh <kunal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I read a lot of emails in this list and others, posting job offerings.
> They all list, "years of experience" required by a candidate to be
> considered for the job.
>
> But what is the metric to measure this experience. If it indirectly means ,
> "corporate experience"
> ( in django , etc ) does it mean that free and open source developers who
> use these technologies
> in their free time (and not in their day jobs) are NOT experienced ?
> Even though they might have worked with those technologies for a much
> longer
> duration than
> the "experienced" ones ?
>
> looking for comments, suggestions and constructive criticism.

Folks in the corporate world mostly want people with blinders on  . so there
is no metric as such i have seen cases where the hiring manager asks for
requirement to the HR guy, who then starts looking out again by the time it
transaltes to a JD is typically heavily loaded  ( means too many keywords )
than required for the job .

i have also seen cases where in Hiring manager goes by recommendations from
peers in and out of the company about a candidate.

there is a third kind where in the Hiring manager takes a call based on an
interview on that day , and considers FOSS experience as a prime
qualification.

the third kinds are less and rare but they are growing by the day

-Satya
fossevents.in