> a golf course has 18 holes. There are three types of hole - par 3, par 4
> and par 5. For a certain type of tournament it is necessary to generate
> a random list of 6 holes. The only condition is that this list should
> contain at least one of each type of hole. What would be an elegant way
> of doing this. Sample data for Ooty golf course is given below. The hole
> number is the first element of each tuple and the par is the second
> element.

This is my solution - http://dpaste.org/wrgG8/

Mine is similar to Gora's solution, except that I have tried to
maintain the actual probabilities of each par in the course and
minimise the number of passes through the list.

It shouldn't matter much for a small list though.

Regards,
BG

--
Baishampayan Ghose