Location: Bangalore

Do you want to help climate scientists and biologists to save the world by
crunching data?

Earth Engine <https://earthengine.google.com/> is a cloud-based platform
for petabyte-scale scientific analysis and visualization of geospatial
datasets, for public benefit as well as for business and government users.
Our team works on everything from making Google Maps and Earth beautiful
<http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2013/06/only-clear-skies-on-google-maps-and.html>
to supporting research partners who are tackling global challenges like
deforestation
<http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2013/11/mapping-worlds-deforestation-over-time.html>.
We're expanding our work on understanding the changes in the Earth's
climate and their impact on people all over the world, and we need your
help!

In this role, you will help us extend the catalog of public data stored in
Earth Engine, opening up new scientific possibilities. The responsibilities
include:

   -

   learning about the satellites, sensors, and the various data products
   that data providers release
   -

   working with the Earth Engine engineering team and external scientists
   to understand how the data should be structured in Earth Engine
   -

   configuring and operating data download pipelines
   -

   writing data processing pipelines to ingesting the data into Earth Engine
   -

   visualizing the results and in some cases collaborating with partner
   scientists to beta-test the dataset in Earth Engine before launch.

Required:

   -

   Experience with at least one programming language (1 year or more).
   -

   Basic familiarity with the command mode in Linux/Unix environments.
   -

   Extreme attention to detail. If you are the kind of person who can’t
   forgive a single typo in a 600-page book, we would like to work with you!

Helpful:

   -

   Expertise in Python.
   -

   Basic familiarity with Javascript.
   -

   Knowledge of the FTP and HTTP protocols.
   -

   Experience with the App Engine Datastore
   -

   Some experience with parallel data processing (e.g. Apache Beam,
   MapReduce, Hadoop, Spark, etc.)
   -

   Basic data visualization (eg, Google Charts).

Please send resumes to Russel Quong (qu...@google.com).

This is a *1-year contract position*, with the possibility of extending the
contract for another year.

Simon