Hello Michael,

Am 09.06.2015 um 15:10 schrieb Michael Mol:
> Just thought I'd share a data point.
>
> The Bareos manual currently reads, for Accurate mode:
>
>> For 500.000 files (a typical desktop linux system), it will require
>> approximately 64 Megabytes of RAM on
your File daemon to hold the required information.

> On a job I'm currently running in Accurate mode, I'm doing an incremental
> backup of about 3.5m files
> on a system running a 64-bit file daemon. The bareos-fd process currently has
> 1424M VIRT, and 946M
> resident. Resident is what we care about.
>
> That 64M/500k files seems accurate for 32-bit, if we assume that we double it
> to 128M/500k for
> 64-bit. 128M * (3.5m/500k) works out to 896M, which is spitting distance away
> from my observed 946M.
>
> Might be nice to update the manual to point out that memory consumption for
> Accurate mode about
> doubles on 64-bit operating systems. Particularly given how prevalent those
> are becoming.

Thanks for the information. The manual is available on github.

https://github.com/bareos/bareos-docs

If you are able to write LaTeX, it would be nice if you could directly create a
patch.

Otherwise, please write your changes in text form, we will gladly translate
them to LaTeX.

Thank you very much,

Philipp Storz

> --

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

 Philipp Storz                             philipp.st...@bareos.com
 Bareos GmbH & Co. KG                      Phone: +49 221 63 06 93-92
 http://www.bareos.com                     Fax:   +49 221 63 06 93-10

 Sitz der Gesellschaft: Köln | Amtsgericht Köln: HRA 29646
 Geschäftsführer: Stephan Dühr, M. Außendorf,
 J. Steffens, P. Storz, M. v. Wieringen