On 06.09.2018 at 22:27 wrote Dakota Pilot:
> On the whole I find Bareos documentation pretty good.  I checked the website
> and some other sources for system requirements and never found links to the
> release notes.
>
> As far as the password goes it really doesn't matter one way or the other.  I
> come from where everything has passwords and I'm trying to find out what
> others do - what is general practice.  The docs say nothing about it and I
> assume Bareos has set things up to be pretty secure.  My installation has no
> password in the catalog configuration nor was I asked for one when I ran the
> install via yum.
>
> I'm not sure what auth secret you are referring to.  The bareos user in
> postgres has no password.  I'm wary of changing passwords after the fact for
> apps like Bareos because things can break badly.
>
> I guess what I'm asking is what does Bareos recommend.  Should I apply a
> password to the database user and if so I assume I change it in the catalog
> and in postgres also.  Do  I need to do anything other than restart the
> bareos services?

By default, Bareos uses ident identification with Postgresql. This is a
default method of Postgres. A unix user can access a local database
which is named identical to the user. Therefore the Unix user bareos can
access the local Postgres database bareos, as Postgres can check if a
query is really issues by the local user. I consider this as secure enough.
Postgres has also a method to extend the behavior for network based
database access. This is something I would avoid and would use a
password based authentication instead.

--
 Jörg Steffens                   joerg.steff...@bareos.com
 Bareos GmbH & Co. KG            Phone: +49 221 630693-91

 Sitz der Gesellschaft: Köln | Amtsgericht Köln: HRA 29646
 Komplementär: Bareos Verwaltungs-GmbH
 Geschäftsführer:
 S. Dühr, M. Außendorf, Jörg Steffens, P. Storz