Hi Valentin,

I have a working setup with encryption over here.

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020, Valentin Dzhorov wrote:

Ok, so I am trying to turn on data encryption feature described
here: https://docs.bareos.org/TasksAndConcepts/DataEncryption.html. I have
issued RSA public and private key and I have consolidated them into one PEM
file. My configuration on the client itself looks like the following:
Client {
  Name = client1
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
  Maximum Bandwidth Per Job = 90 m/s

  # remove comment from "Plugin Directory" to load plugins from specified
directory.
  # if "Plugin Names" is defined, only the specified plugins will be loaded,
  # otherwise all storage plugins (*-fd.so) from the "Plugin Directory".
  #
  Plugin Directory = /usr/lib64/bareos/plugins
    # Plugin Names = ""

  # if compatible is set to yes, we are compatible with bacula
  # if set to no, new bareos features are enabled which is the default
  # compatible = yes

  PKI Signatures = yes
  PKI Encryption = yes
  PKI Keypair    =
"/etc/bareos/bareos-fd.d/certificate/assembled/consolidated.pem"
  PKI Master Key = "/etc/bareos/bareos-fd.d/certificate/master.pem"
  PKI Cipher     = aes128
  }

My config looks similar, except, that I do not provide the "master.pem", but solely the "master.cert" - what's the content of your "master.pem": does it contain the private key, too? That is not necessary and may break things - additionally, this is wrong from a security point of view: you do *not* want to distribute the private master key across all your clients.

However when I am doing backups nothing seems to happen. I get the following
message when doing backups:

Encryption: None

Can anyone let me know what am I doing wrong here? Thank you all in advance!

Additionally to my point above: have you checked file permissions? Can bareos read the private keys?

regards,
Erich