The point of spooling is to mainain constant rate of data for the storage device (even if it's done in bursts). It works best for jobs that have low effective transfer speed (for example - for incremental jobs over a huge filesystem where only a very small subset of files changes - the job checks every file and backs up only the changed ones so the job itself takes quite a long time but the effective data rate is very low since only a small subset of files is transferred). If you have a source which can easily fill your storage device bandwidth, you can skip spooling since it would effectively - as you observed - increase the backup time since the backup data would firstly be transferred into your intermediate spool directory and after that would get copied to tape - that's one data transfer too many.