I don't know where else to ask this, hoping you'll forgive me! I am using bareos, but this seems to be something else.

I have an HP-branded HH SAS LTO5 tape drive that has been working fine until just recently, when it has started rejecting tapes. The symptom is that reading from the tape basically works, but attempts to write any noticeable amount of data (more than a second or so of writing at speed) cause it to abruptly stop mid flight, and then what I can only presume is some sort of reset before it rewinds and errors the write out with an I/O error. I can write a bareos label to the tape, but starting a job fails after about 700 tape blocks.

I've tested the drive with the hp_ltt console tools (linux) and it is reported as being fine. (excellent margin). Testing with hp_ltt a tape on which it's already errored fails again in the same way, and at least once the test failed to complete. Switching to a once-written tape experienced the same issues although that drive had written to that tape before without issue. I don't currently have any *new* LTO5 media to try with though the tape this all started on was new at that time.

Any ideas what's wrong?

One thing I'm concerned about is that possibly the drive is somehow damaging otherwise good tapes... is that possible?

Thanks in advance,

Ruth

--
Tel: 01223 414180