Dear all,

we know that German lutenists  in the 18th century like Weiss an Baron played
continuo on their theorbos in d-minor tuning too (cf. Ernst Gottlieb Baron,
"Historisch-Theoretisch und Practische Untersuchung des Instruments der
Lauten", Nürnberg 1727 p. 131, who also wrote that their theorbos had double
courses on the fingerboard, not with the basses). When using really big
theorbos with a greater string length, e.g. 76 cm and more, not  theorboed
baroque lutes, I think they had to use a re-entrant tunig with at least the
first course tunend in a lower octave.

What do we know about the tuning of d-minor theorbos, which sources do exist?

Henner

--

Dr. Henner Kahlert
In der Tasch 2a