From: Dr. Henner Kahlert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2006 9:25 AM
To: Baroquelute net
Cc: Lutenet
Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] d minor theorbo tuning

Dear all,

we know that German lutenists  in the 18th century like Weiss an Baron
played continuo on their theorbos in d-minor tuning too (cf. Ernst Gottlieb
Baron, "Historisch-Theoretisch und Practische Untersuchung des Instruments
der Lauten", Nürnberg 1727 p. 131, who also wrote that their theorbos had
double courses on the fingerboard, not with the basses). When using really
big theorbos with a greater string length, e.g. 76 cm and more, not
theorboed baroque lutes, I think they had to use a re-entrant tunig with at
least the first course tunend in a lower octave.

What do we know about the tuning of d-minor theorbos, which sources do
exist?

Henner

--

Dr. Henner Kahlert