On Jan 7, 2007, at 6:17 PM, Dale Young wrote:

> ...There can
> always be exceptions. But that means there is always A RULE. The
> old guys
> knew best.

Definitely a very useful dictum for today's HIP musicians to live by,
but the problem is that we seldom seem to talk about what those rules
were.

If we were to speak in these discussions of Baroque musicmaking of
the uses of classical rhetoric, "affekt", symbolism, word-painting
(in the case of vocal music), "decorum", some degree of sensitivity
toward contrapuntal and imitative compositional devices, some sort of
awareness of antique style, modern style, galant style, French style,
German style etc., etc., etc....then maybe we would see the use(s) of
the third finger in a somewhat more practical light.  We might also
reach the conclusion that all the abovementioned things are totally
irrelevant to Baroque lute playing...

But to my mind they are relevant, because we need to know what the
music is really saying, and to that end we have to know the rules the
Baroque player/composers established, including which fingers they
used.  But we also need to bear in mind that the best Baroque
composers were not opposed to the idea of making innovations in their
compositional styles and playing techniques.  The best of them were
sublimely creative musicians, not just keyboard-operators.  And if
they were of less stature than that, why take them seriously at all?

My two-cents' worth on the tangled and baffling "Affair of the Rogue
3rd Finger."

D Rastall
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.rastallmusic.com