> So, one may ask, what's French? Is it stile brise (that term was
> coined
> by David Buch, if I'm not mistaken)?

There has been some confusion with this term, which I believe does
little to further a true understanding of the repertoire.  I look
forward to seeing its use discontinued in discussions of 17th-century
pi=E8ces de luth.

 From my article on French lyricism:

"Lionel de La Laurencie was the first to use the term in Les
Luthistes (Paris: Laurens) 1928, p. 109. David Buch's article on
style brise, in Musical Quarterly 71 (1986): pp. 52-67, was the first
detailed attempt to show the provenance of the term. However, Buch
does not credit La Laurencie as the first to use the term. Instead he
quotes the 1928 publication from an earlier page where La Laurencie
states "Ce style =ABbrise>> des luthistes fran=E7ais recontre encore un
important imatateur en la personne de l'Autrichien J.-G. Peyer qui,
de 1672 =E0 1678 etait au service de l'emporeur Leopold Ier, =E0
Vienne," (p.82). Buch further comments that La Laurencie only uses
the word "brise" and that it was not until Manfred Bukofzer, Music in
the Baroque Era (New York: Norton) 1947, that the term was first used."

"Some Manifestations of French Lyricism in Seventeenth-Century pi=E8ces
de luth Repertoire,"  Journal of the Lute Society of America, 30
(2002): 26.

Frankly, I believe that we should stop using the term to refer to the
genre as a whole, especially since the term has no 17th-century
significance.  If we are looking for useful terms from the period, I
recommend notes separees for the breaking of notes, and pi=E8ces de
luth to refer to the genre as a whole, the latter being consistent
with genre designations for other instrumental repertories of the
period (e.g., pi=E8ces de viol, pi=E8ces de clavecin, etc).  Style brise
is one of those coverall terms used by writers to simplify an
understanding of a rich and complex genre of music, often to
difficult to understand for most readers, hence the coining of this
simplistic term.

Best,
Jorge

Jorge Torres